Pullstart

6” x short air filter?

LengerichKA88

45ABBA84-98D0-4315-8610-D9E785ABCEFB.jpeg

E204F9E7-F27B-4896-AACE-1AC97442569C.png

• Haha 3

LengerichKA88
9 hours ago, bcgold said:

If I were cutting a lot of grass or doing garden work I would toss the paper element air filter then install an oil math type. Your engine will reward you with a thousand more hours of service.

In the day almost every most industrial engine came with an oil bath air filter.

air.gif

Is there an oil that works better/ holds longer? 

I’ve  always been told that for these to just use what’s available, but I’m curious to know if there is a preferred oil to use. 

roadapples
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Sorry for that small picture of the 312 air cleaner base, :confusion-confused: don't know how that happened.

s-l1600.jpg

Seems to me this would be the way to go, unless you need it today or just like a challenge....

• Like 2

Pullstart
Just now, roadapples said:

Seems to me this would be the way to go, unless you need it today or just like a challenge....

I do like a challenge, but I also know how to appreciate fine engineering and when not to reinvent the wheel.  But I don’t know which way I’ll go yet :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, bcgold said:

If I were cutting a lot of grass or doing garden work I would toss the paper element air filter then install an oil math type. Your engine will reward you with a thousand more hours of service.

In the day almost every most industrial engine came with an oil bath air filter.

air.gif

I have an oil bath cleaner on my David Bradley tractor that I robbed the wheels and tires from.... and was toying around with that idea too.  I have to finish hood mounts before I can determine what the best route will be.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If you can manage to read through all the sarcasm

English is actually my second language, most of those posts were written in my native tongue.

This did stick out to me though, especially after a post above it mentioned specifically updraft carbs. I would think with front/side facing this would be a legitimate concern. 

8464DF67-DBBC-4D10-A92C-ABE98CDA88FE.png

Pullstart

I agree Kyle, that is a strong negative.  I liked that they work better on governed/fixed rpm engines than cars because you need a high velocity for them to work properly.

my thoughts were to go from the oil bath mounted vertically next to the carb, down, U turn up, then 90 into the carb.  I might even get lucky and be able to piece something together with 1” black pipe or copper/brass.

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

Sounds like some piping gymnastics, but reasonably do able.

certainly will be unique haha

Edited by KyleLengerich

roadapples
25 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If you can manage to read through all the sarcasm, this seems to be a good read on oil bath filters.  I might be convinced that I need to build an adapter!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-does-an-oil-bath-air-cleaner-work.603366/

I'm old enough to remember them and pretty much understood how they worked. But that is a good and funny read...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

The gasket on a paper cartridge air filter once it becomes clogged with dust particles will allow for minute particles of dust to leak between the gasket and base surfaces as engine vacuum has now increased, these dust particle rocket through the engine they sandblast the precious metals wash coat free of the surface on the catalytic converter ceramic comb to where the metals end up along the roadsides.

With an oil bath filter any dust particles entering the filter are whetted with oil and will settle out onto the bottom of the filter canister, engine vacuum is never altered with the problem of a clogged filter nor is fuel economy ever affected by a false choking as you would experience with a clogged paper element.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22313190

Identification of platinum and palladium particles emitted from vehicles and dispersed into the surface environment.

Platinum, palladium, and rhodium are emitted from vehicle catalytic converters. Until now, the form of precious metal particles in road dust and urban waste has not been identified. This study has located, imaged, and analyzed these particles in road dust and gully waste. Two fragments of catalytic converter have been observed in road dust. They are 40-80 μm in size and covered in many minute particles (<0.3 μm) of either platinum with minor rhodium or palladium.

One fragment identified in gully sediment is smaller, 25 μm in diameter, hosting only one attached particle of palladium with minor rhodium. As fragments are washed off roads they begin to disintegrate and the precious metals become detached. Also precious metal-bearing particles have been located in incinerated sewage ash including a 20 μm diameter cluster of <3 μm sized platinum particles that may be the remains of a catalytic converter fragment that has survived incineration.

The form of these precious metal-bearing particles described here reveals that as they are dispersed from roads they are likely to be present predominantly as two particle sizes. Either they are attached to larger fragments of catalytic converter or they are released as individual detached tiny <0.3 μm to nanoparticle sizes.

Edited by bcgold

LengerichKA88

Now that I’m thinking about it, would oil build up in the U be a potential issue?

Would be an over time kinda thing, but I would think that eventually you could end up with a little pool sitting there. 🤔

bc.gold

Mack truck fitted out with an oil bath air filter.

air1.png

• Like 1

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, KyleLengerich said:

Now that I’m thinking about it, would oil build up in the U be a potential issue?

Would be an over time kinda thing, but I would think that eventually you could end up with a little pool sitting there. 🤔

Drain tee with a plug?

• Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

Sounds like a plan to me 

LengerichKA88

(Deleted) 

Edited by KyleLengerich
I answered my own question.
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Just to confuse this a little more I have some of these I could send you, they are NOS Kohler.102_2594.JPG.952852be58e353586b09f359cad88229.JPG102_2591.JPG.222d2852abfa96e94bb9f4e38f3dcfd1.JPG

Edited by 953 nut
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

LengerichKA88
12 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Just to confuse this a little more I have some of these I could send you, they are NOS Kohler.102_2594.JPG.952852be58e353586b09f359cad88229.JPG102_2591.JPG.222d2852abfa96e94bb9f4e38f3dcfd1.JPG

It worked... what is it? 

• Haha 1

bc.gold

The Motocross boys have it figured out, oiling the foam filter, which is what I do with my Briggs powered Deere.

• Excellent 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, KyleLengerich said:

It worked... what is it? 

They are a Kohler air cleaner, part # 210449. I got them with a batch of NOS Kohler parts.

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, pullstart said:

I also know .....

when not to reinvent the wheel.  :D

15 hours ago, pullstart said:

my thoughts were to go from the oil bath mounted vertically next to the carb, down, U turn up, then 90 into the carb. 

So Kev....

Kinda conflicted?

:P:D

I'm just kidding.

I understand your thought process.... I'm the same way. Which can't be a good sign for you.

As I was reading down through the post I was thinking that you saying anything about "reinvent the wheel" is a bit like referring to the Grand Canyon as a "small scrape".

:ROTF::ROTF:

Love this thread.

Love the tractor.

Please keep up the good work !!!

• Thanks 1

WHGuy413

Finally was in the garage for a short time today. After being sick a few days this week I got busy being dad. Kiddos had stuff to do and by the time we finally got all settled I was beat. Here you go. This is what my custom air filter looks like. 

I didn't see any problems using it. We musta just got the right size off the bat. Dad milled it out of aluminum and then added the horse logo. This is on my tecumseh h60 on my 603.

20190127_144526.jpg

20190127_144534.jpg

20190127_144709.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2