mbn32166

2 horses down

953 nut
3 hours ago, mbn32166 said:

tried  the magic marker and nothing the marks didnt move.

The new belt you put on, what is the size or number on it? When you release the clutch is there good spring pressure? I was thinking the spring may have become unhooked when the old belt broke.

mbn32166

Sorry took so long to get back to you,an unfortunate incident involving 2 dogs,my son,a cup of coffee and no more laptop.So anyhow the clutch tension seems to be the same.But now I am wondering about the belt.Not that we bought the wrong belt per say but maybe the wrong belt was in the right wrapper.When I get a chance I will investigate that further and keep you posted.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Since you don't have conventionally constructed shelter for your tractor(s) .........say in the form of a garage or a shed, perhaps a temporary shelter of some sort might be appropriate to consider.

Just to keep winter exposure and moisture minimized, it might do worlds of good for your tractor(s). Even if the air temps outside the structure might be the same as inside a shelter, eliminating or largely mitigated the effects of wind chill and moisture could make a huge difference in your winter tractor accessibility and usage.

If the tractors could be covered with blankets and tarps and a small, safe heat source placed under each tractor inside a protected weather proof area, you would likely greatly decrease possible "freeze up" situations and be able to use you tractors more regularly in the middle of the winter.

Harbor Freight has a shelter which might work for you. There may be others as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-10-ft-portable-shed-63297.html

0CBFDB9F5DE329C1449965BE0F241C2A.app1_15    FDF1EB04EA322735370EF3C8D71A4797.app1_15

TTIMPORTER_1538206633240_L1800.jpg

ericj

check the drive pulley on the 312. If the trans froze up and caused the belt to break it might have also sheared the key on the drive pulley.

eric j

mbn32166

So right belt.Pulleys are fine.Keys are fine.Did notice that when you grab ahold of either hub you can feel something trying to catch inside transmission.So came to conclusion that something inside tranny broke.So now if I were to replace the tranny would it have to be out of a 312 or would any 8 speed tranny work?Thanks for any input.

• Sad 1

stevasaurus

Any 8 speed should bolt right on...one thing to look for though...where is the brake drum mounted??  Yours is mounted on the cluster gear shaft toward the front of the trans.  If you get one that has the brake drum on the mushroom gear shaft, you will have to mess with the linkages for the clutch and brake.

Let's verify a couple of things 1st.  Jack up the rear end so the wheels are off the ground. 

1.  With the transmission in neutral, turn either wheel...the other one should turn in the opposite direction.

2.  Take off the drive belt and put the trans in each gear (one at a time) and turn the input pulley in a counter-clockwise direction.  Both wheels should turn in the direction of the gear you have it in.  Not necessary to do in high and then low if you can shift the high/low shifter.

3.  Put the belt and guard back on.  With the tractor running, shift into 1st gear.  Both wheels should turn in the same direction by themselves.  If you grab one of the wheels, you will be able to hold it, but the other wheel will continue to turn.  Shifting into any other gear should yield the same result.

4.  I doubt you broke an axle...you would be able to pull the wheel and axle right out of the trans case.  You should only have about 1/8" or in and out play.

While you are looking for one, I would take the transmission off and open it up.  Have the input side down and remove the brake drum side.  If you do open it up take a lot of pictures.  Also, take a look at these videos.  Let us know.   :occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1

mbn32166

so with the wheels up and in neutral you can turn either wheel and the other doesn't turn at all. With the belt off and in whatever gear the left hub turns but not the right.(the right hub did move a little but stopped).With it running both wheels did turn but again with no power.If you stopped one the other would keep turning.  

953 nut

Everything you have told us sounds like the differential is working fine and the right axle is not quite as free as the left. Have all the axle and input shafts been checked over to be sure the keys are in good condition?