The Tuul Crib

Container gardening

The Tuul Crib

So I'm an avid gardener and my last house I was able to cultivate a space on the level ground with plenty of sunlight. Now for the past few years I've lived in a real nice setting in the woods on the hillside  and really no place level to garden.

Also  deer are a big factor  deal with as well . Container gardening will have to be the way to go. I have ideas but I'm also open for suggestions or other ideas that anyone else may have. I have two decks in front of the house on either side they get plenty of sunlight. 

Daddy Don
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

So I'm an avid gardener and my last house I was able to cultivate a space on the level ground with plenty of sunlight. Now for the past few years I've lived in a real nice setting in the woods on the hillside  and really no place level to garden.

Also  deer are a big factor  deal with as well . Container gardening will have to be the way to go. I have ideas but I'm also open for suggestions or other ideas that anyone else may have. I have two decks in front of the house on either side they get plenty of sunlight. 

Me to.

953 nut

Here is a method I have used successfully for several years. The only modification I have done is to add a piece of PVC that goes down to the reservoir and some strips of old towels to wick the water up. Once the plants have had an opportunity to become well rooted rather than watering from the top I put the water and miracle-grow directly into the reservoir.

https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/self-watering-containers

ebinmaine

We live on a hillside here and very thickly treed in.

We've been known to use 5 gallon buckets to grow tomatoes and peppers.

Larger plants need to be transplanted to 1 or 2 plants per bucket as they get full grown.

Not much to look at but easy to move and store out of the way.

I've also used recycled or cull/damaged pine boards in the past to make box squares 3 x 6 feet but I leave those on the ground a year or two and then lift the wood and spread the dirt where it lays.

WHNJ701

my first house had 0.2 acres along the the river, with a house, drive, shed etc.  not much room to garden the soil was incredible.  I mixed in the vegetables with the landscaping planting vegetables in with the flower beds.  I had few raised beds for lettuce radishes, I would rotate fast as soon as they were done I had plants ready to replace.  I would plant the cucumbers under the window air conditioner, at night they got constant drip.  4 plants would yield about 60 cucumbers.  I had huge flower pots on the front porch with tomatoes basil and marigolds planted together.

it's just a matter of being creative.  I could out grow alot of my Co workers and friends with larger yards and gardens.

The Tuul Crib

Growing up in Iowa we had slot of coal black dirt. We would also after cleaning out the livestock barns spread it around on our fields and till it in the soil. I'm all about organic gardening. Do use any pesticides if it is done right!

Dakota8338

We had ground based garden many years, but we have produced more product from the container gardening the past few years than ground based.  We use 55 gallon food grade barrels, which I cut in half, along with a few cattle feeding tubs pro-lix feed, supplements and others similar products are sold in.  They are very close in size to one-half of a 55 gallon barrel, only thinner with a slightly shorter life.  It is amazing how much produce  a couple of 30 - 35 foot rows of the barrels will produce.  With the ground based garden seeds are either rotting in the ground or the plants are dying of heat stroke.  I water the ground garden daily last year trying to keep plants alive and thriving, and they still died, so I am not sure I am going to plant anything in the ground here this year.

Last year was also the first time we have had a problem with birds eating our tomatoes, so this year netting will be placed over the tomato caged barrels to prevent the birds enjoying our tomatoes.