Dave 520h

Problems with my 520h

Dave 520h

So I have a 1995? toro wheel horse that i'm having problem keeping running.  It starts when its cold sometimes then runs strong and shuts off.  It usually starts right up again then shuts off.  I replaced the ignition coil, condenser and fuel pump.  I replaced the ignition module in my other 520 that had a similar problem.  Before I dig into it that far are there any other ideas?  Thanks Dave

The Tuul Crib

Someone here has had a thread about the same issue and I can't remember who it was but somebody should know of this problem. By the way ...

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

kasey54

Always worth checking fuel cap to be sure its venting.

cafoose

Check these threads out:

Shynon

9 Pin connector

ericj

if you didn't already, download the onan manual, it will take you step by step through trouble shooting to help you figure it out. You don't say how long it runs before it shuts off. The ignition module usually takes at least 15 minutes to heat up enough to shut down. 

I have some 520's that have a loose connections in the fuse block witch can cause them to shut off, just press on the fuses and she'll start right back up. good luck 

eric j

oneroadkingman

hello there Dave 520h,that's weird i am having the same problem too.mine will start up and then shut right off. I just ordered a new fuel pump, carb kit .i think its the fuel pump thats bad not seeing any fuel in filter.it will run on gas if u put it straight in the carb . we will see! good luck with your same issue !

lynnmor
17 hours ago, Shynon said:

9 Pin connector

That is where I would start.

• Like 1

RITEK
On 1/18/2019 at 3:17 AM, oneroadkingman said:

hello there Dave 520h,that's weird i am having the same problem too.mine will start up and then shut right off. I just ordered a new fuel pump, carb kit .i think its the fuel pump thats bad not seeing any fuel in filter.it will run on gas if u put it straight in the carb . we will see! good luck with your same issue !

Hey oneroad I had the same with mine but I didn't own it when it happened i will have to talk to the person i got it from.

WheelHorse520H

Since this thread seems to be revived, I had a very similar issue this weekend. The vacuum line that operates the fuel pump was bad so I changed that and readjusted the carb and it ran great. I hope you already have this solved.

RITEK
On 1/17/2019 at 12:03 PM, Dave 520h said:

So I have a 1995? toro wheel horse that i'm having problem keeping running.  It starts when its cold sometimes then runs strong and shuts off.  It usually starts right up again then shuts off.  I replaced the ignition coil, condenser and fuel pump.  I replaced the ignition module in my other 520 that had a similar problem.  Before I dig into it that far are there any other ideas?  Thanks Dave

I have figured out the issue my 520hc has had the same issue this fix works on 520hc 520h 518h and possibly 516. This helped me fix mine. Here are the parts, 166-0767. The 166-0785 is out dated now here is the new version, 166-0821

Edited by RITEK
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

I pulled the power wire and the starter wire to the solenoid out of the nine pin connector and soldered them together. That helped mine, but what really made it dependable was an electric fuel pump.