Sign in to follow this  
lotus1967

418-8

lotus1967

New to the forum so hope I'm doing this right. I've got a pristine 418-8 Wheel Horse Garden Tractor that I bought in 1992. Only have a 48" deck and leaf collector for it. I've only been able to find rare mentions of the 418-8 in any of the forum topics, but would like to get more info about the machine. Although I've never had any problems with the tractor, are there any chronic problems I should be looking for? I typically change engine oil 2 times per mowing season, grease about 1 time a month and change transmission oil every 2 years. Air filter 1 time a season. Am I missing anything?

From what I can find, it looks like my model was manufactured in 1987. Any idea as to how many were made? Is it considered a desirable unit and is there any collector interest in the 418-8?

This is my everyday mower and with 448 hrs. on the meter I figure it still has a long life ahead. I have no intention of parting with it but just found this forum and thought I'd try and gather some info, and join in.

Thanks

Bow_Extreme

Well, the only info I can offer you is general maintenance items. My opinion which may or may not count for much is the wiring on these tractors tends to give people problems more than anything. The connections become very corroded and sometimes melted over time. A close inspection and maybe testing for continuity is always a good idea when inspecting but this can be very tidious work. If it's running good than you know what they say " If it aint broke than don't fix it". If it's always been kept inside, kept clean after use, and maintained which it sounds like it is than it should last you a long time. The hours are very low so I wouldn't be too worried about it. I don't know that it would be considered a collector unit but there are always buyers out there like most of us on these forums. Some people collect and others use. It's all up to you. These tractors were built tough and have the ability to last an indefinite amount of time if taken care of.

wheel horse 1045

:omg: i had a 418A and it was a beast but i dont have any manuals for it sorry but it was a great tractor till i sold it.

Duff

Lotus, :drool: !

Sounds like you've got a really nice tractor there, and low hours to boot. You're right - it will last you many, many more years the way you are maintaining it!

Can't offer you any technical insight about it, sorry to say. :(

Oh, and in response to bow extreme: "Some people collect and others use." Yup, and a whole bunch of us collect and use! :omg:

Duff :drool:

Rideawaysenior

You are right on track with your maintenanc e plan. I would recommend that if you have concerns about the electrics, clean the connections with an electrical cleaner and then pack them in dielectric grease. I'm slowly doing that on the machines I have and am finding that it's a good ounce of prevention.

As far as your machine, the 418 was the Big Mammie of its day. There was an auto version as well as a commercial version. All were more then capable machines and over engineered for their purpose.

stevebo

:omg:

I would have to say that the fact it is an 8 speed with the bigger 18hp motor makes it a bit more attractive to some people. It seems like all the bigger hp machines (twins) are autos. Last week one of the members here sold a 520-8 for close to $2600 on ebay. A typical 520H goes for less than 1/2 that in the same condition. Sounds like you have a very nice machine, keep taking care of it and use it. You will find yourself adding to your wheelhorse "fleet". Good luck- Steve BO

bmuone

Hey there lotus.....I have a 417-A wheel horse. It was made in 1986 which was the last year before Toro took over. While our WH's are not the truely antique horses....they are indeed truly good and desirable WH's. And I call mine a antique anyway. The infor I have are for 417's and I am not sure what changes took place between 417 and 418's. Would be happy to share what I have though. By the way...what does the 1967 mean?? Your birthday or graduation day perhaps?...have a goodun........DT

Nick

Being built one year and having a kohler twin I would say it is a desirable tractor if not collectable. Cant say that I have seen many for sale in this area but have seen a few around.

Steve Bo, I think the price of the 520-8 sold on ebay has a lot to do with less than 250 being built. In similar conditions my guess would be that a 416-8 and 520-H would probably be in the same price ballpark with an edge to the 520-h.

lotus1967

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the info, and will begin paying more attention to the electrical side of things.

As for the 1967, for several years I was the owner/caretaker of a 1967 Lotus S3 sportscar. Just seemed like a unique, and rarely conflicted username.