Sign in to follow this  
blratliff

D160 Transaxle

blratliff

I am new to Wheel Horse and this forum but have found allot of useful information on the D160s.  I am getting ready to open up my transaxle due to it leaking to reseal it, is there a manual or instructions on how to open it up or is it strait forward?  Also, is there any upgrades that I need to do while I am in there or anything specific to look for to make it last longer?   Any advice would be of great help and very much appreciated.

Thank you

"D"- Man

As far as upgrades it may depend on what you plan on using this tractor for.  There are 2 different Ring gear/End caps assemblies.  If yours has the set up with the smaller diameter bolts, and you plan on a frontend loader attachment, you may want to get the Ring gear/End caps assemblies with the larger diameter bolts.

pfrederi

Download this manual.  Also check the pinned topic at the top of this forum for Sundstrand O rings.  As D man said if you have 5/16" bolts get parts for 3/8" bolts.. If you have 3/8" bolts get new Grade 8 ones.  Axle seals are readily available from any good auto parts store or something like motion industries.

D's are not the easiest WH to work on.  Your biggest issue maybe removing the hubs.  You have to use a puller do not beat them off!!! The thinness of the hub flange relative to the length of the hub means they are easy to break if you have to pull really hard.  if they do not move you will have to rig a puller that works from the back of the hub.

Edit:  If all that is leaking is the axles you do not have to split the transaxle or remove it from the tractor.  you will have to pull the hubs...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

KC9KAS

@blratliff :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

blratliff

I do have a front loader for it, it is a Ark loader.  I will check the bolts and see what is in there while it is apart.  Thanks for the manual and the info, it is greatly appreciated!!!!

• Like 1