Firebug

New year projects?

Firebug

Happy new year fellas! I hope the new year finds everyone in good health. Just wanted to put it out there and see what kind of projects people have planned for the new year.. I myself have to get my d-200 and 314-8 back together, just a matter of getting the tins back on when they come back from paint. But my big project is the c-160. Leaving the original patina, but going to do some clean up work and get it running. But I want to start playing around at plow days so I’ll be doing a lot with playing with weights, traction, etc. 

• Like 6

rmaynard

Restoring another 701 with my grandson.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

briankd

hopeing to get my c-120 resto done 

• Like 1

953 nut

I could tell you what "I" plan to do this year, but SWMBO hasn't told me yet!                    :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

BHunter
16 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I could tell you what "I" plan to do this year, but SWMBO hasn't told me yet!                    :ROTF:

Happy wife means happy life 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dells68

Gonna go through my D160 and give it a fresh coat of paint.  Gonna clean up Emory’s 603 and get it going for him again.  Gotta refit the sealed fuel tank on Emory’s 754.  Gonna pick up an Electro 12 project from Ed in June.  Who knows from there.  Always plenty to do.  

• Like 2

Firebug

Looks like everyone is going to have a full year!! What paint do you use for your d-160

WHNJ701

hopefully the weather is better this year and not raining everyweekend!

tractor goals for 2019:

1) Reassemble the 551 and get running 

2) continue tracking down parts for the other 854, prep and paint for next winter reassembly

3) install the engine and finish up the t75 panzer 

4) continue tracking parts for the 57 bolens RAM, prep and paint for reassembly next winter maybe?

• Like 1

BHunter

Happy new year. I plan to restore my C-141. I think I’m going to put a new coat of paint on this one since I already have 2 Suburban patina projects going right now. I’m having a hard time finding a replacement seat for it.

I also plan to attend the Big Show in June with all three tractors completed and ready to cruise around. 

D9DF8201-8E97-4412-8441-09EDB38DE89A.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Tuneup

House build and sell as we down size so tough to know that time can be scheduled. I'm sure the wife will provide priorities and Wheel Horse won't make the list if I'm to be real about it. That said, the C120 can use a full restoration and I'm looking forward to that. I've been through the trans and engine already. There's a 48' deck in my near future - I see one nearby with a C85 that is fetching - especially since a black hood is attached to it. The C125 continues to perform but its 42" RD can use a set of bearings. After that, I'll have to build a shed to contain the growing herd and that's a good thing.

Can't have just one...

• Like 1

dells68
1 hour ago, Firebug said:

Looks like everyone is going to have a full year!! What paint do you use for your d-160

I’ve had really good luck with Rustoleum Regal Red.  I’d love to use a good acrylic enamel on it,  it I doubt the budget will allow.  If you are careful with the spraybombs you can get a pretty good finish and can even cut and buff it if you take your time.

• Like 1

Tuneup
3 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I’ve had really good luck with Rustoleum Regal Red.  I’d love to use a good acrylic enamel on it,  it I doubt the budget will allow.  If you are careful with the spraybombs you can get a pretty good finish and can even cut and buff it if you take your time.

Regal Red here, Dells. Went on beautifully but took forever to harden. Next project is going to teach me how to spray with hardener.

• Like 1

dells68

My dad has painted several VW projects for me.  One took best paint at a VW show and the other best in show.  I’d love for him to teach me to spray,  it I have too many other projects to splurge on the enamel for this one.  I’ve had good luck with Rustoleum.  After it gets set up, it tends to be pretty darn tough.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

So, I Hope to speed my Suburban 400, and 551 projects from a slumbering limp to completion. Then there’s gathering parts for the 953 and Porter Cable projects.

But if a home downsizing under consideration happens it could become a major project that derails things.

Edited by oliver2-44

BHunter
1 minute ago, Tuneup said:

Regal Red here, Dells. Went on beautifully but took forever to harden. Next project is going to teach me how to spray with hardener.

I buy a quart of regal red and a pint of acetone from homedepot. Then I get enamel hardener from tractor supply. Mix 5 parts paint , 2 parts acetone, and 1/2 part of hardener in a mixing cup. Mix it well, put it in a spray gun and have fun. It is a cheap paint job that looks pretty good. It dries slow and you need warm weather but it’s worth it if you don’t want to spend a lot for paint. 

• Excellent 1

Tuneup
3 minutes ago, BHunter said:

I buy a quart of regal red and a pint of acetone from homedepot. Then I get enamel hardener from tractor supply. Mix 5 parts paint , 2 parts acetone, and 1/2 part of hardener in a mixing cup. Mix it well, put it in a spray gun and have fun. It is a cheap paint job that looks pretty good. It dries slow and you need warm weather but it’s worth it if you don’t want to spend a lot for paint. 

Thanks, BHunter, for the recipe. Always fun to learn a new skill, and in buying new tools! Looking forward to it.

Firebug

So much good information, that’s what I love about this forum, throw out a topic and the guys just run with it. The thing I like is that everyone wants to share information, no one keeps it to themselves like they are having a one up on the other guy

• Like 2

BHunter

That’s the best part of this forum. Lots of help from people that have a passion for wheel horses. 

I’ve been a car / tractor painter for 30 yrs. If anyone has paint questions, I’m happy to help. 

• Like 2

Razorback

Outside of changing my C160 headlights over to LEDs of some sort, I am hoping that the only "projects" I have with it involve getting my garden going again this year, after a 2-year hiatus.....

Achto

I'll be working on a ":wh: mutt", hoping to turn it into a beauty queen over the winter. Come spring I'm planning on adding some storage space to my garage, about 10x20 is what I have in mind for that.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Keep working on Mrs. Pullstart’s “Frank” project, hopefully finish it before the big show without the paint drying on the way!  Also build a rack for Norman, to hold 4 complete tractors in/on the bed.

E6732A67-2BBE-4B41-B2D7-E441CFE41262.jpeg

3045DF3E-C4E2-4DB1-A751-36957F7BB007.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Not much Wheelhorse time for a while. I have to paint the house, finish crown molding on two bedrooms, many touchups, get the yard up to par and hide a bunch of stuff so I can put the house on the market. Then I have to figure out how to get all my crap to North Carolina and come up with a place to keep it. Somewhere in there I have to find a place here to live while I finish out the year at work while momma lives in North Carolina. I have a lot on my plate. A busy 2019 for sure.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stuppy62

My plan for the new year is to have a front end loader for my 520H. I'm finding them scares as hen's teeth to find, so I'm considering building my own! 

• Like 3

Jake Wilkerson

Get this old girl cutting grass again. She sat for 10 years with a broken governor shaft that I recently replaced. Got it from my Uncle in 2015 and it’s been waiting on me to have time for it. 

And yes at some point the poor thing took a 9mm to the hood. 

65A241F6-99C9-4B1D-8470-79BDCD9C5125.jpeg

Edited by asleepz
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 1

19richie66

Battle scar, builds character 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 3