Stormin

Selenoid Question.

Stormin

C-125s engine started the other day, but only after I gave the solenoid a little tap due to it only clicking. After that all ok.

Yesterday though the solenoid gave no problem, the engine only turned over somewhat sluggish and refused to start. Battery seemed ok but swapped it with one of the C-81. Started the 81 ok. Still only cranking sluggish.

All earths checked so the can be ruled out. My question is, not having had solenoid problems before, can a faulty solenoid effect engine cranking speed?

JAinVA

Over time the internal contact surfaces of a solenoid can develop build up from the arcing at engagement.A new one might help if all the other electrical connections are sound.

• Like 5

953 nut

Norman, anything in the cranking circuit could give the sane result. It could be a battery cable or any connection being corroded. If  both cable connections on the solenoid are clean and tight and you use a piece of metal to short the two large terminals together and it turns over briskly then it is the solenoid. If not then try replacing cables one at a time. I have had a cable that looked new turn out to have an open in the wire.

• Like 3

bc.gold

Worn starter bushings causing the armature to rub against the field.

When this happens the amperage draw on the battery is very high, hard on the solenoid internal contacts and you generally end up with heated cable connections.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1