richmondred01

Extra weights

Lee1977

How much weight total in each wheel?

richmondred01

66 pounds per wheel.

132 total. 

Ill see how it does. I can always add an additional 50 pounds or so to the clevis hitch

ebinmaine

.... And fluid fill

• Like 1

richmondred01

I’m not a fan of loaded tires.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

I’m not a fan of loaded tires.

Curious to know why. Have you had a bad experience with them?

WHNJ701

no chains?

richmondred01

I have some chains. Didn’t use them this year because they made marks on the neighbors driveway last year.

fluid in tires....I’ve replaced several rims because of rust in the past.

I also swap turf tires with lugs in the winter. Putting them on my tire rack is difficult. 

• Thanks 1

GlenPettit

Lug tires don't really need chains if you're careful and have lots of weight,  I've added 200# per rear tire and have no problems,  = just great traction.

Don't forget if you add a lot of weight on the rear axle, add some to the front for steering control, (when adding # to the rear, you're lightening the front slightly).

To de-rust chain, put it in a quart of white vinegar in a bucket with a quart of water (50-50%) let sit 1-2 days (in basement), then put chain in a bucket with old oil.

Good Luck,   Glen

Another thought is Rubber Tire Chains    I use them and have been very happy with the results, my first choice is Lug tire without chains, I have a long asphalt drive with slight hills.

Google Amazon and look for Rubber Tire Chains, but add extra rubber cross links for a much smoother ride.  Not the best on smooth ice.

A product called "RIMGUARD" is what the professionals use, will not rust nor hurt the enviroment, wherever Farmers go is who has it.  Filled tire prices can be all over the place so shop around, I pay about $30 for rears, $20 for fronts, total, using good tires/rims and/or tubes is smart to reduce leaks. Done right they won't leak.

Regular Window Anti-Freeze can break-down chemically over the years, (the alcohol in it is what changes) .  RIM-GUARD will last for decades and is completely organic (google it).

IMG_0032.jpg.e08d57f87190482c1a9e059fa90f5206.jpg

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0213 1_zpshppnicok copy.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

one of the old guys used to run his ag lugs backwards for snow 

pfrederi
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

one of the old guys used to run his ag lugs backwards for snow 

That was so he could back out of trouble.  Ags are near worthless backing up.  If you are plowing snow and get stuck you usually want to back out the way you went in.  When you raise the blade to back up you lighten the rear of the tractor making backing up with Ags even more difficult.  Many farmers with 4 wheel drive tractors will mount the front Ags backward to get better traction backing up  (backing a loaded manure spreader if it is sinking in can be a challenge even with 4wd.)

Edited by pfrederi

squonk

Fluid filled are the bomb! I use RV antifreeze with anti-corrosion inhibitors. The momentum of the fluid spinning helps push the tractor when it gets bogged down. :banana-dance:

• Like 2

Pullstart
On 12/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, GlenPettit said:

Lug tires don't really need chains if you're careful and have lots of weight,  I've added 200# per rear tire and have no problems,  = just great traction.

Don't forget if you add a lot of weight on the rear axle, add some to the front for steering control, (when adding # to the rear, you're lightening the front slightly).

To de-rust chain, put it in a quart of white vinegar in a bucket with a quart of water (50-50%) let sit 1-2 days (in basement), then put chain in a bucket with old oil.

Good Luck,   Glen

Another thought is Rubber Tire Chains    I use them and have been very happy with the results, my first choice is Lug tire without chains, I have a long asphalt drive with slight hills.

Google Amazon and look for Rubber Tire Chains, but add extra rubber cross links for a much smoother ride.  Not the best on smooth ice.

A product called "RIMGUARD" is what the professionals use, will not rust nor hurt the enviroment, wherever Farmers go is who has it.  Filled tire prices can be all over the place so shop around, I pay about $30 for rears, $20 for fronts, total, using good tires/rims and/or tubes is smart to reduce leaks. Done right they won't leak.

IMG_0032.jpg.e08d57f87190482c1a9e059fa90f5206.jpg

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0213 1_zpshppnicok copy.jpg

Off topic I know, but so good to see you on :rs: Glen!  I recal you treating my little girls to pencils, stickers and whatnots at Scott’s show in Indiana, now they have their own tractors!

I hope all is well, and Merry Christmas!

67FAB9FF-4009-43EF-A878-FD0863929818.jpeg

A724086E-B6F5-4BF0-9607-D4348F05641E.jpeg

DF482C9F-820C-489E-A2E5-B3243AD79F31.jpeg

3B514D10-8888-469C-A124-89D910FC57CA.jpeg

D9E475AF-DD44-491B-9ED0-DA34060C1511.jpeg

B4FDCFBC-EAFA-4597-8A2D-1BE6EF9BEB6F.jpeg

• Like 2