ebinmaine

Spark plug tester ?

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

have been using an old spark plug cleaner for years, just old school I guess.

Nothing at all wrong with being old school.

We are too.

I've never owned a tester so all I could do was set the plug on the engine and see if there was a visible spark.

Of course, not the best way to do it.

So I decided to pick up a plug tester for a few bucks.

Seems that lots of things that used to be a "service" don't happen anymore for similar reasons. Turning brake drum/rotors is something else that's gone away.

Don't "check/clean" the air filter. Just throw it out and replace it.

The list goes on...

Tractorhead

Hi Eric,

I use just use the simple phasechecker screwdriver for test purposes.

Clamp the clip on sparkplug, put screwdriver tip in sparkplugcap and crank.

If it illuminates, there was a spark - that simple.

if engine will not start, change sparkplug and check the Timing.

If it will not illuminates, measuring the coil, if it has a resistance.

On each machine with petrol Engine i own i firstly change the Sparkplug and filters and Oil first.

That's my main issue.

When i calculated a tester, i can buy a lot of Sparkplugs instead.

With this method i have best and quickest experiences.

cleaning a sparkplug, hum yes- can be done, but you will never be sure if sparkplug works under thermal issues right.

pressure? yes this can be simulated, but not Thermal issues.

My Waterloo i got about 20year 's back On Racetracks with my Quadbike. 

I driven Short track and MX freestyle with it.

To improove the Ignition, i got a free programmable ignition system by Ignitech.

i try to find best ignition timing and labda on a dyno with a oxygen sensor in exhaust.

but dyno was only a short term issue instead Racing. The Engine get never the same thermal burden as in Racing.

On the Dyno, the Engine shows impressive results.

The engine seems it looses only sometimes Power in Racing condition, if i pull throttle fully when engine gots warm.

It was so frustrating, on training everything seems right, but in real Racing conditions i sometimes got lots of trouble.

Only sometimes loss power in Full throttle passages.

After i had some troubleshooting with change ignition, setup different ignitionsetups, clean and setting up carb,

change and setup on acceleration pump, even a complete Enginehead rework, checking Valves Valvesetting and some other stuff, The last issue was the Sparkplug.

I can not Imagine, that a simple Sparkplug can made this trouble, so i changed it and lateron i never had this issue on this Engine while Racing. It wastes me lot of energy to find out, what was happen, even Sparkplug allway's looks pretty and Service on Sparkplug was allway's in time.

All Values on Sparkplug was right- heat value, type, face of Sparkplug, but i have several Sparkplugs they loosing their reliability in short periodes while Racing.

Yes, i know, a tractor is not a Racing Engine, but my experiences Show's me others.

So i simply shorten the periodes to change sparkplugs and things running nice and smoothly and even my lap times improoves. After this experiences i don't wasting time, to check and clean a Sparkplug, i just exchange it.

Merry Christmas to you 

Just my 2 cent

image.jpeg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

So i simply shorten the periodes to change sparkplugs and things running nice and smoothly **********

After this experiences i don't wasting time, to check and clean a Sparkplug,

I've had similar experiences with Chevy V8 in the past.... Also a small engine or two.

My method over the last few years has been to put a new plug in my small engines every year or two instead of worrying about trying to figure out if it's bad.

Same as you. I shortened up the change interval.

The reason I want a spark plug tester is if I have an engine that I am not familiar with and I do not know if it has any spark at all.

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've had similar experiences with Chevy V8 in the past.... Also a small engine or two.

My method over the last few years has been to put a new plug in my small engines every year or two instead of worrying about trying to figure out if it's bad.

Same as you. I shortened up the change interval.

The reason I want a spark plug tester is if I have an engine that I am not familiar with and I do not know if it has any spark at all.

Thanks for give me some memories with this Post....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

KC9KAS
15 hours ago, pfrederi said:

OK Spark plug cleaning.  Used to be something commonly done.  Many of us probably have a "home version" to media blast a plug...but now days it is recommended you NOT clean the plugs as there is a chance of abrasive getting into the engine.  I still clean some and carefully check to make sure no abrasive is stuck in the plug (dental picks).  Mostly I clean the plugs for my Military vehicle as they are several $$ each....

Question is this a real concern or is part of our throw away economy (pushed by Champion)

My plugs in my 2003 Chevrolet Silverado are original and have 210,000+ miles on them...Why would I want to clean them! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 1