pfrederi

Odd sized 12 pt sockets

Sarge

Sears (Craftsman USA), Wards (Powr Kraft), and top-tier makers like Williams all made 32nd sized socket sets and even wrenches in many flavors. In certain types of machinery, they used the largest or smallest head size to accommodate the usable space to allow servicing. In the '50s era machinery, there are a ton of odd-sized square headed bolts (hence, wrenches) as on industrial trucks, tractors, and other equipment. Sears, Wards, and Williams are known for having huge rack sets of sockets covering every possible fractional size in 32nds from 7/32 clear up to 1". My brother in law had the largest Sears set I've ever seen covering that entire range, in 1/2" drive, no less. If you ever work on an older lathe or milling machine - you'll start hunting for those oddly sized wrenches in a hurry, along with some 4 & 8pt sockets.

The really elusive sets are the 8pt sizes and the full 32nd size ranging sets are truly mind-boggling expensive. Williams has a full 8pt set I've long been wanting - they are sized perfectly for oddly sized taps and a lot of the work I do will not allow room for most common tap drivers. There are also tap sockets designed for this, but the common sets rarely fit anything past most common sizing in a small range - the larger Williams set will fit nearly any brand tap made up to 5/8" thread sizes and beyond. These are also useful on any square-headed fastener and especially pipe plugs. Stubborn plugs may want to round off and there are special duty male and female sockets designed specifically for those. 

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-WSS-814RC-14-Piece-Point-Socket/dp/B001DNZ508/ref=pd_sim_469_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001DNZ508&pd_rd_r=1bda97b6-0461-11e9-b744-c97d5c894571&pd_rd_w=W8AZW&pd_rd_wg=NxiJj&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=5J7CPZKC6ZT94WEWFAMY&psc=1&refRID=5J7CPZKC6ZT94WEWFAMY

Somewhere around here, I have a handy set of hex-driven square/8pt sockets - I'll have to get a picture of them.

Sarge

• Like 3

lynnmor

Ford used the odd size tools, mentioned in this thread, many years ago.  Google 19/32 and Ford for much information.

• Like 2

Rob R

This Topic reminds me of the aggravation I sometimes have finding the correct OEM Toro or Cub Cadet V Drive Belt with is in 1/2 inch in length increments.... like 3/8ths X 351/2 ….. gotta believe they did that just to force you to buy their belt????

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Gotta be something about the 19/32 and the 25/32 sizes.  I also have one of each in 16 point 1/2" drive made by S-K.  I also have an open end wrench that is 19/32 on one end and 11/16 on the other.  Says FORGED U.S.A. on the handle.  These were my Grandfather's...he was a truck mechanic in Chicago.  I also have a bunch of tools that are cut or bent or something for special uses.  It is hard to tell, if these were made or fashioned this way.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, Rob R said:

This Topic reminds me of the aggravation I sometimes have finding the correct OEM Toro or Cub Cadet V Drive Belt with is in 1/2 inch in length increments.... like 3/8ths X 351/2 ….. gotta believe they did that just to force you to buy their belt????

If there's enough slack with an idler pulley, then you run can run the 1/2" shorter belt if not the 1/2" longer one but I do feel your frustration the 2stage blower belt is 5/8"x 64.5".

• Like 2