GreenMntRanger

418C wiring harness

GreenMntRanger

Got a 418C that has considerable rodent damage to the harnes. Cant seem to find a replacement.  Is there any other harnesses that are cross compatible? The motor is a Kohler M18 that matters 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by GreenMntRanger

953 nut

Your best bet would be to buy a few spools of wire and some "Delphi Packard GM 56" connectors and follow the wiring diagram from the owner manual to rewire your :wh:. The 418-C wiring is similar to other 300 and 400 series tractors, but finding a good harness and adapting it to your unit would be more work than it would be worth in my opinion. It is likely that some of the connectors on a used set of wires will need to be replaced and you don't know for sure that the "GOOD USED HARNESS" is actually in good condition.

• Like 2

peter lena

I agree with 953 nut on the rewire issue, that would make it simple , rather than add to the problem. having dealt with a similar issue , I made up a few "  jumper wire clamps " to simplify and verify  power to problem. letting me find and replace the wires in question , while still retaining a running / working tractor. I also use the problem as an opportunity to upgrade and improve that area. example, dielectric grease on each connector and hook up. I regularly use  " cable wrap " to secure and neaten things up, and the rerouting of wire ,without tight bends or  chafing points should be done. if your tractor starts and runs, take advantage of it , only my opinion , pete 

• Excellent 2

pfrederi

The 418C doesn't have all the pesky idiot lamps and the wiring is much simpler than a 418A.  i agree make your own.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I have made a few new wiring harnesses. Bought the correct connectors, terminal ends and correct color/gauge wire and heat shrink tubing.

Oh, I did splurge and bought the expensive crimp tool for the terminal ends for the Packard 56 connectors.

We have just about any wiring diagram in our files that you want or need for reference.

• Like 2

cleat

I have completely gone over my 520 wire harnesses and I can tell you the best way is to completely pull the harness (not really that big of a job, just a little time consuming).

Once out, clean it the best you can then lay it out neatly on a bench or piece of plywood and remove the tape holding it together..

Then, referring to wire diagrams, you can make a copy or just repair the bad sections or connections.

Also, this is a good time to remove bits that are not needed or to add a wire for an accessory.

Rewind the harness neatly with electrical tape and re-install making sure to clean up any connectors the harness plugs in to.

A little di-electric grease on the connectors is also cheap insurance.

Cleat

• Like 1