LengerichKA88

Chain Steering setup

LengerichKA88

This is more for my own knowledge than it is something I plan on tackling soon, but I figured this would be the section to ask, as it seems that when doing a narrow/tricycle front end mod it’s needed (could be wrong, please feel free to correct me if I am) 

How exactly does Chain steering work, and how would one go about (generally) setting one up? Through my Googling I’ve found some videos and threads on other sites, but they are usually talking about a tractor that originally used this steering setup, and aren’t talking about the actual steering itself.  What I haven’t been able to find is a detailed explanation, or pictures, showing the steering itself and how it functions.  

Also, WHY does the steering need to be changed over to a chain steering when doing a narrow front end? (Curiosity) 

If chain steering is installed, is it simply a matter of swapping the original steering back in if I wanted to put the original front end back on? 

On the plus side, if I ever need a chain link steering wheel, I’ve found plenty of buying options. 

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

Well I definitely don't have the answer but I also am kind of interested to find out what it is.

• Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

Since I’ve seen that it's possible to do a narrow front end on one of these tractors, the gears have been turning.:laughing-rofl:

• Haha 1

82Caddy

Here's a topic with better pictures.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

The chain and sprocket set up works well. Another option would be to mount a steering arm in the lower side of the steering shaft and have a pitman arm on the steering up front connected by a drag link.

• Excellent 1

JoeM

I thought I saw somewhere someone used old style deck gears for a narrow steer. Seems like that would adapt and work also.

WHOldDeckGears1.jpg.ed833f6deb95be5dace900c66212499d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

Thanks! I don’t know how I missed your replies till now, but I greatly appreciate it. I eventually want to be able to park my Charger 10 next to my uncles 48 Farmall H as it’s mini me. 

• Haha 1

953 nut
On 12/12/2018 at 6:38 PM, OILUJ52 said:

I thought I saw somewhere someone used old style deck gears for a narrow steer. Seems like that would adapt and work also.

WHOldDeckGears1.jpg.ed833f6deb95be5dace900c66212499d.jpg

If you were wanting to replicate the look of an Unstyled JD those would get the job done.

Image result for old tractor

• Like 1