WildmanC120

Predator 22hp Flooding Out

WildmanC120

So, I saw in another thread where someone bought some 1 way check valves to go inline with the fuel line.  I guess it really improved cold starts after sitting a little while because it kept the fuel line full. I bought one and decided to try it.  

I would recommend not doing this, I cannot get my engine to run right now.  It's pouring fuel out the what I believe to be a vent and its filling the intake with gas.  Engine will not run at much less than full throttle now.  I'm not sure what happened but the 1 way valve must have created too much pressure with no place to go.  I wonder if it has forced the float to stick open as I tried even feeding the engine with a gravity fuel source and it was just pouring gas out the carb.  

wallfish

Coincidence maybe?

I'm not sure how a check valve can create pressure. Your float valve is stuck open so could it be from something got into the fuel line and then the carb from when you added this check valve? Did you try removing the carb and taking a look? What kind of check valve is this?

WildmanC120
8 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Coincidence maybe?

I'm not sure how a check valve can create pressure. Your float valve is stuck open so could it be from something got into the fuel line and then the carb from when you added this check valve? Did you try removing the carb and taking a look? What kind of check valve is this?

I have not pulled the carb off yet.  It's the same little silver check valve from Amazon that was in another thread here recently.  

Nothing got in as it's brand new install and new line etc.  

Rob R

Agree with Wallfish, you have other issues....I have chk valves in all three of my Wheel Horses no issue(s) and much improved starting. 

lynnmor

Is the check valve after the fuel filter?  If so, maybe a bit of rubber from the fuel line cut made its way into the carb. 

I know nothing about the Predator fuel pump and how it regulates pressure, maybe it depends on the ability to relieve excess pressure back towards the source.  Did you try eliminating the check valve to see if the problem goes away?

I can see some pressure buildup just after a hot shutdown due to fuel heating .  This should be minor and quickly go away when the engine is restarted.

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:On the same thread I bought those checks and definitely improved starting but this on Onans. Just for grins pull the check and put in a 1/4×1/4 barb coupling just to see what shakes. Maybe the predator does want to shove excess fuel back to the tank. I would suspect a piece of crap in the float needle  tho but like Lynn have no experience with preds.

• Like 2

WildmanC120
1 minute ago, WHX21 said:

:text-yeahthat:On the same thread I bought those checks and definitely improved starting but this on Onans. Just for grins pull the check and put in a 1/4×1/4 barb coupling just to see what shakes. Maybe the predator does want to shove excess fuel back to the tank. I would suspect a piece of crap in the float needle  tho but like Lynn have no experience with preds.

I did this.  I think it wants to do exactly that.  I'll pull the carb off tomorrow but I think it forced the float to stick open from excess pressure. 

WHX??

Keep us posted Wildman... one of those motors might be in my future and willing to learn. Fill us in on the type of fuel pump the Pred has. Best off hearing it from someone who has one.

Edited by WHX21

WildmanC120
3 minutes ago, WHX21 said:

Keep us posted Wildman... one of those motors might be in my future and willing to learn. Fill us in on the type of fuel pump the Pred has. Best off hearing it from someone who has one.

I'll keep the thread posted.  Engine ran great before I put this 1 way valve in.

Fuel pump is just a standard impulse diaphram pump.

• Thanks 1

cschannuth
8 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

I'll keep the thread posted.  Engine ran great before I put this 1 way valve in.

Fuel pump is just a standard impulse diaphram pump.

I'm interested in this as well.  I bought this same check valve and installed it on an Onan, Briggs twin, and Kohler.  So far I've just installed them and run the tractors long enough to prime the fuel system and warm the engines.  They've been sitting idle about a week so I'll be interested to see what type of difference it makes start starting compared to before.  The one thing that concerned me a little was how hard it was to blow through the check.  It wasn't excessively difficult to do but more difficult than I was expecting.  It'll be interesting to see how the fuel pumps do overcoming the valve pressure drop over time.

WildmanC120

All Fixed!!!!  Pulled the carb apart and found some black colored crud in the needle and jets.  It did not come from my fuel line as its brand new translucent blue line.  The inside flapper on the check valve is black though. If you use one be sure to clean it 1st. Good lesson here.  She also got a new set of NGK plugs too as the others were totally black and fouled. 

I did come across something awesome though.  Found some welch plugs on top of carb with that looked like needles.  Removed the plugs and sure enough, adjustable low mix screws.  It's my lucky day for once HA.  About a 1/2 a turn to each and she starts and idles much better than before.  Thanks EPA!  

22hp Predator Running After Carb Clean & Low Adjustment

Also installed a new set of Tri-Ribs.  It's like having power steering now.  These things are AWESOME!

IMG_20181208_171644.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

ZXT

What exactly is this check valve supposed to do? I can't see why it would be necessary; the pressure from the fuel sitting above the fuel line should prevent the line from becoming dry. A fuel shutoff valve should have the same effect. I'm always willing to learn.

wallfish
18 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

but I think it forced the float to stick open from excess pressure

Just for info purposes for this thread, the carb vent (for atmospheric pressure) will release any fuel or air pressure inside the carb bowl so a check valve can't cause or hold any pressure in the bowl. This is the vent which was flowing fuel out when the bowl over filled so it definitely isn't clogged.

Restriction of flow from a check valve could cause more pressure on the inlet side from the fuel pump.

Glad to see you got her going.

• Like 2

Chuck68

Hello 

I'm currently working on my 22 horse predator engine after setting around in my shop for at least 2 years.

Any way you were speaking about check balls and the like.

I originally used my engine on a case skid steer. It ran well except like yourself, it was hard to start if it set awhile. I fixed that issue by installing a cheap electric fuel pump and a momentary switch. Turn the key on, pull the chock, hold down the momentary switch until I could hear the pump pull down some and released it. 

Turn the key and the engine started right now. Open the choke and to work we go.

The fuel tank really needs to be above the engine so to eliminate adding a electric fuel pump and momentary switch. 

As for leaking fuel out of a small hose to the right of the engine by the starter is cause the needle valve is stuck open. Just pull the carb and clean it out and you'll have it fix .

This corn gas really mess up these small engines. 

Remember to run the engine completely out of gas if not going to run it for awhile.

I hope this helps 😃.