fast88pu

Boosting Horses

fast88pu

I started to tig weld up the exhaust manifold today till I ran out of gas lol. 

IMG_20181229_150210.jpg

IMG_20181229_165251.jpg

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Definitely got my attention, still a mystery what you've got up your sleeve but if it's anything like some of your other builds I'm sure it's going to be awesome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

If you're going to burn alcohol in it, it might as well be REAL alcohol!

1549359602_Cruzan151at50.jpg.173dcf7c831dc2f1ec18cf211bfe50b9.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

What metal tubing? Looks like you need to build a back purge setup - I use a CGA 580 tee fitting on the tank, two flow meters and run about 3-5cfm for the purge line. Just converted a spare 25' long gas hose to work with 1/8"NPT fittings, a small ball valve to turn it off/on and a copper tube in 1/4" to supply gas into hollow objects to prevent sugaring/crystallization on the back side of the weld - made a huge difference. I have guys bring motorcycle pipes over and stainless parts that need the purge to prevent the stainless from sugaring and turning to garbage once heated, glad I finally got it done and use it a lot more often than expected. Helps a lot with aluminum parts as well around here. 

Interesting to see what we're building here, lol.

Sarge

• Like 1

fast88pu
5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

What metal tubing? Looks like you need to build a back purge setup - I use a CGA 580 tee fitting on the tank, two flow meters and run about 3-5cfm for the purge line. Just converted a spare 25' long gas hose to work with 1/8"NPT fittings, a small ball valve to turn it off/on and a copper tube in 1/4" to supply gas into hollow objects to prevent sugaring/crystallization on the back side of the weld - made a huge difference. I have guys bring motorcycle pipes over and stainless parts that need the purge to prevent the stainless from sugaring and turning to garbage once heated, glad I finally got it done and use it a lot more often than expected. Helps a lot with aluminum parts as well around here. 

Interesting to see what we're building here, lol.

Sarge

What's a good starting flow for gas? 

Sarge

All gas settings go by torch size, nozzle and whether you're using a gas lens or the standard tips with just the holes in them. On some of my gas lens (Furick) setups due to the size (14) they require right at 30cfm to the torch. Purging goes by the volume size of the part to be welded and fit-up tolerances. Remember, argon is heavier than air so it's wise to feed the argon downhill into a hollow part. Also, on some tubing you are better off closing up both ends, feeding the gas into the lowest portion on one side and make a slit to vent any back pressure and oxygen out the other end at the highest point. Using these practices removes the contaminated air inside the part, especially the oxygen. Stainless parts get really picky about gas coverage, that's why you see the trend towards some truly huge gas lens nozzles to better distribute the argon across the entire heat zone - this also prevents embrittlement and discoloration issues. It also helps to increase pre-flow at times, some machines have an adjustment for it (my Dynasty uses a hidden menu) but on machines that are not equipped that way you can just cycle the gas solenoid by tapping the pedal/rotary control to start the gas cycle. 

If you haven't used or seen them, Michael Furick makes some of the best gas lens setups on the market. They are not cheap, but the gas coverage plume design works far better than anyone else's making right now. He has his available in lab grade boron silicate glass or ceramic. Most are made for strictly DC work due to the screen design inside and all parts are available as wear items. He does have some glass units that can work on AC as well.

https://furickcup.com/

Best torches and parts I've found for the money are the CK Worldwide brand. I run a FL-1525 torch most of the time or one of their 17 series air cooled flex heads, very durable and both have withstood close to 200 amps being pushed through them to the point I couldn't stand to the hold onto the thing. The Flex-Loc torch design is one of the best inventions that the tig process has had in a very long time, now others are trying to copy it with their own versions. The SuperFlex cables are amazingly supple yet very tough - I don't even run a protective cover on mine and they drug around the shop through all the sharp debris with no damage. 

http://www.ckworldwide.com/

This is the torch I use the most - that knob can lock the head into any position you want, at any angle - http://www.ckworldwide.com/130-150-amps-flex-loc™.html

https://youtu.be/6coVTVgpqLA

I can get some pics of the purge setup if you like.

Sarge

fast88pu

Some secret goodies lol

IMG_20181231_180325.jpg

• Like 1

fast88pu

Well the cat is out of the bag now. 

IMG_20190106_134939.jpg

IMG_20190106_135025.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oldredrider

Ahhhhhh! The 12 fin K341...good choice. Go big or go home. :happy-bouncyredfire:

• Like 1

fast88pu

Made up more flanges friday and more pieces too

IMG_20181224_073154.jpg

IMG_20190111_095818.jpg

IMG_20190107_201554.jpg

IMG_20190112_150744.jpg

• Like 1

fast88pu

Bigger is better lolIMG_20190126_095544.jpg.d72dad10e8f66860cee72e4e07418bd3.jpg

• Like 2

fast88pu

Some paint

IMG_20190128_124359.jpg

IMG_20190128_124406.jpg

IMG_20190128_124416.jpg

• Like 2

fast88pu

Secret goodies. 

IMG_20190202_154742.jpg

• Like 4

fast88pu

Almost complete now. 

IMG_20190210_152219.jpg

IMG_20190210_152226.jpg

• Like 4

fast88pu

What's Everyone's feeling on turbochargers and boost on a wheel horse? 

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, fast88pu said:

What's Everyone's feeling on turbochargers and boost on a wheel horse? 

I'm thinking this is gonna be INTERESTING

19richie66

Pop Pop goes the weasel, :laughing-rolling:

I agree though, this will be interesting to see the outcome. Just wondering if you would actually feel the difference on an engine that small. I have no experience with turbocharged engines so I will be watching with anticipation 👍

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Pop Pop goes the weasel, :laughing-rolling:

I agree though, this will be interesting to see the outcome. Just wondering if you would actually feel the difference on an engine that small. I have no experience with turbocharged engines so I will be watching with anticipation 👍

Well, atmospheric pressure is right around 14 psi?  Any time you add 14 psi boost, you essentially double your power.  Imagine a 32 hp big block single lunger!  Now, to make GT parts hold up to the boost?  That might be another story.  That I’ll be following!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

fast88pu

Or if single lung big block build to 30hp before boost:ph34r:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

lynnmor

There is a good chance that a flat head, air-cooled engine will have detonation if boosted very much.  The combustion chamber shape and the resulting flame front is the problem.

Pullstart

Kyle, you got any Single Shot MSD boxes?  :dance:

fast88pu
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Kyle, you got any Single Shot MSD boxes?  :dance:

No just stock ignition.   DETONATION should not be an issue as these are low compression engines to start with. 

• Like 1