Gospelsinger91

Engine paint

Gospelsinger91

I am going to restore my Wheel Horse 1057 tractor. I noticed that the Engine "color" was really close to some of the GM motor paint. Does anyone know the correctpaint color and/or name?

Thanks,

Tommy

AMC RULES

International Harvester Red.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Some of us use rustoleum Regal Red.

Ford high heat engine red is a very close match to Regal Red

pacer

Hah, paint is one of those things that seems to be used in quite a range of reds! -- as you are already seeing in these few replies!

IE: I, for some forgotten reason, started out using Rustoleum red -- and, yes I even use it on the engines, and surprisingly holds up pretty well...

WHNJ701
9 hours ago, pacer said:

Hah, paint is one of those things that seems to be used in quite a range of reds! -- as you are already seeing in these few replies!

IE: I, for some forgotten reason, started out using Rustoleum red -- and, yes I even use it on the engines, and surprisingly holds up pretty well...

for all the ones I restored I don't use high heat paint on the engines and never had issues.  sometimes I use high heat flat black on new mufflers because I don't like the silver on the replacement ones

The Tuul Crib

I use regal red  rustoleum .  That  seems to be the going paint and is closest to original that I have found. There are a lot of variations of the red and I seem to like them all! Duplicolor  hi heat seems to be the best for the motor that I have used. 

IMG_4368.JPG

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Duplicolor  hi heat seems to be the best for the motor that I have used. 

IMG_4368.JPG

You mean like this...

IMAG0633.jpg

• Excellent 3

Stormin

When I rebuilt my C-121, (aka The Black Horse) I used BBQ paint on the engine. I'll be using the same on the C-125's engine.

42.jpg.1b86ec5a08327c1c755a24a77dd573b4.jpg

36.jpg.5a1bb9fbc075c7c1fcda240fcca6f2d7.jpg

• Like 1

Herder
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, The Tool Crib said:

I use regal red  rustoleum .  That  seems to be the going paint and is closest to original that I have found. There are a lot of variations of the red and I seem to like them all! Duplicolor  hi heat seems to be the best for the motor that I have used. 

IMG_4368.JPG

I use the rustoleum regel red on the all of my engines and it holds up very well. I do find any type paint including heat paint will still burn off  around the exhaust port area, the heat is to high. 

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, Herder said:

I use the rustoleum regel red on the all of my engines and it holds up very well. I do find any type paint including heat paint will still burn off  around the exhaust port area, the heat is to high. 

Especially if you run the no ethanol blend which tends  to burn hotter 

• Like 1

Jay Wellwood
On 12/13/2018 at 7:33 AM, Stormin said:

When I rebuilt my C-121, (aka The Black Horse) I used BBQ paint on the engine. I'll be using the same on the C-125's engine.

42.jpg.1b86ec5a08327c1c755a24a77dd573b4.jpg

36.jpg.5a1bb9fbc075c7c1fcda240fcca6f2d7.jpg

Seems like a natural color and type of paint selection for the engine.  Red tractor - black hi temp motor paint.  

Good call.  :occasion-xmas:

• Thanks 1