Holly

312-8 clutch adjustment

Holly

I just purchased a 312-8 wheelhorse. 1989 model. When I push clutch pedal in to engage a gear, the pedal does not want to come out on its own. I can pull it out easily with my foot and tractor goes. I am new to this tractor and could use some directions. Would it just need a new belt? The tractor is a 1 owner and in excellent condition. Only 580 hours. I went over the deck today and it's like new condition

SPINJIM

Idler pulley return spring is either weak or broken. It's located under the belt guard on the right side of the tunnel, next to your right heel.

If that's not the case, then could be the wrong length drive belt on it.

Good luck,   Jim

Correction.  The clutch return spring on your model is on the left, even though it operates the idler pulley on the right..  Trace the connecting rod from the clutch pedal, back to the linkage.  Could be something as simple as a missing roll pin or cotter pin, or a missing spring, or a broken connection lever (parts still available from Toro dealers).  Go into the Manuals section on this forum, and search for 1990 312-8 to see a diagram and parts list.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 4

Lee1977

Some  came with a damper to keep the clutch from taking hold to fast. It could be it's not working as it should. It can be replaced with a spring. You don't want to drop the clutch with the spring as the front wheels will come off the ground. It will come up pretty good if you have the engine wide open.

• Like 4

953 nut

:WRS:

In the drawing below item # 53 is the damper. It is located on the right side and they become slow acting due to dirt and crud build up. Just remove it and be cautious when releasing the clutch.  :wh: got along without them for several decades, don't know why the felt a need to mess up a good thing.

image.png.a61aa8c03e45aefd8a0a19765f254dfd.png

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

Pullstart

@Holly :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:!

I have experienced the need for a little WD-40 on the joints to get it freed up and working properly.  The system is fairly simple and with most troubleshooting start at one end and work towards the other.  :handgestures-thumbupright:    Most you’ll need are 7/16” and 9/16” wrenches to pull the side covers for inspection.  Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

Holly

Thanks to all of you. I looked today and the return spring is missing. The damper is in good condition and pedal movement is easy. I am really glad to take time and join this forum because it will be a valuable tool for me.I am so excited getting this tractor for $200. One owner, 580 hrs. He gave me 3 oil filters, a air filter, and a spark plug plus all the original booklets for tractor and deck. I just started going over it yesterday and did the deck. I cannot believe how nice shape it is. Thanks again for info and I am sure I'll be asking another question.

IMG_20181128_094858.jpg

Edited by Holly
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

peter lena

holly , good going on that tractor, that deck looks like pristine,  I hope you maintain that , just the idea that you have such a find is a great opportunity to maintain it . pete

• Like 1

Lee1977

You did great got a Wheel Horse and mower base for half what that mower base is worth.

• Like 1

88dragtop

I’m stumped on my clutch issue. I have a 1989 310-8.  The pedal spring broke and new replacement has belt slippage.  I see from reading posts and looking at the tractor that there is no adjustment. Tractor would do wheelies before old one broke, now slips going up or down hills unless I pull clutch pedal back with foot.  Spring looks the same

Spring broke when I was rushing to cut yard, at deck went for reverse and put in 3rd.  Boom, dented hood and spring broke I guess when my foot slammed the clutch pedal...Doh!!

Any ideas, don’t see anything bent