RJR49

expansion pin

RJR49

The expansion pin on my steering shaft broke yesterday. The hole in the shaft is 13/64 (.203) but the pins at the hardware store are .187 or  .228 (maybe 15/64) as measured with my vernier. I used the .187 and it fit very nice but I fear that it won't last very long. Are 13/64ths available, or did Wheel Horse make up their own. If I have trouble with it breaking I'm thinking that I might open up the hole to fit a .228. Has anyone tried that?

In advance... thanks for the help BTW it's a C-160

Edited by RJR49
added model

Razorback

I think I would open it up for the larger pin. I lean towards overkill if there's an option!

pacer

I seem to recall that roll pins are designed to go into a slightly smaller hole, compressing it as it goes in. Hit up Google and find a chart for the pins - I've got one , the chart, --- somewhere?

RJR49

BTW there is a video on Youtube using a Vice grip to compress the pin. Unfortunately you can't compress them .025. I also checked the industrial suppliers. They don't offer any more sizes than the hardware store 

gwest_ca

Pins are usually sized by the hole size they are designed for.

Split  and spiral pins are a bit larger.

Cotter pins and clevis pins are a bit smaller.

Is there a chance the hole has a layer of corrosion in it?

The bottom hook on the snowthrowers for the lift tube take a 3/16" cotter pin but most holes are much smaller because of a layer of rust.

Garry

RJR49

I reamed it with a drill bit. More as a means of determing the size than cleaning but the next size wasn't close