Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Starter question....

Duff

Hi, guys,

I took the starter off the junk Kohler M-12 on my parts tractor to transplant to 312-8 #2 under rebuild, and when I unbolted it it came apart! This in and of itself wasn't particularly alarming - it gave me the chance to check the condition of the brushes and armature (both in great shape), clean the bushings and apply a drop of machine oil to them. But....when I went to put it back together, well, that's when things got interesting. :thumbs:

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to reassemble the end cap with the brushes onto the armature while holding all four of those spring-loaded brushes in place? I'd RTFM if I had one, but I don't, so I was hoping I could impose on your good natures and wisdom to tell me how to pull this caper off!

Thanks as always,

Duff :whistle:

Butch

Duff don't get discouraged because it can be done. I did mine last fall. Problem is I don't remember what I did. :thumbs: I do recall it took plenty of patience and some trickery.

TT

You'll need to whip up a brush holder, Duff.

A piece of wide steel banding (used for fastening items to pallets) or something similar works great.

holder.jpg

Duff

Thanks, TT! You da MAN! :whistle:

Duff :thumbs: