USHorse

Electric PTO on 22 Hp Predator

USHorse

I have installed a WH electric PTO on  416 that now has a predator 22 hp engine.  A few questions.  First, in review of other members pictures, there is a center bolt with washer thar that bolts to the engine shaft.  I got a bolt that was long enough to reach the threaded shaft. I snugged it up against the PTO,  ran the engine for a few minutes and rechecked everything.  What i saw was that the washer got grooved out from contact with the face of the PTO bearing.  This did not seem right?  Also, since there is a PTO bracket that holds the PTO in place, what does the bolt actually do?  

Secondly.....i have read that an inline fuse such as a 15 amp should be installed to protect the PTO.  this new engine charging system is only 3 amps.  Should the fuse approximate the engines charging system amp level?

pfrederi

The PTO bearing center piece turns with the shaft so is not moving relative to the Bolt and washer.  There should be no wear on the washer.  The seal over the balls doesn't stick out as far and should not be in contact with the washer.  The washer should be small enough that it does not contact the outer ring of the bearing.  Where is the wear on your washer??

The bracket bolts to the engine block on Kohlers it is in front of the PTO but  Wildmanc120 wnet behind to get it on his predator conversion.  What ever lines up best I would guess be OK.

pto.JPG

• Excellent 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, USHorse said:

an inline fuse such as a 15 amp should be installed to protect the PTO.  this new engine charging system is only 3 amps.  Should the fuse approximate the engines charging system amp level?

The fuse is to protect the tractor wiring in the event of a short circuit in the clutch or the wires feeding it. The clutch will draw four to five amps so you want the fuse to be above that with a comfortable margin, ten or fifteen amps will be good. With the charging rate being less than the draw of the clutch your battery will keep up with the draw. At times when you are not using the clutch your charging system will restore the battery.

USHorse
On 11/21/2018 at 2:27 PM, 953 nut said:

The fuse is to protect the tractor wiring in the event of a short circuit in the clutch or the wires feeding it. The clutch will draw four to five amps so you want the fuse to be above that with a comfortable margin, ten or fifteen amps will be good. With the charging rate being less than the draw of the clutch your battery will keep up with the draw. At times when you are not using the clutch your charging system will restore the battery.

Thanks 953NUT....that makes sense.  I will go with a 10amp fuse.

USHorse
On 11/21/2018 at 11:42 AM, pfrederi said:

The PTO bearing center piece turns with the shaft so is not moving relative to the Bolt and washer.  There should be no wear on the washer.  The seal over the balls doesn't stick out as far and should not be in contact with the washer.  The washer should be small enough that it does not contact the outer ring of the bearing.  Where is the wear on your washer??

The bracket bolts to the engine block on Kohlers it is in front of the PTO but  Wildmanc120 wnet behind to get it on his predator conversion.  What ever lines up best I would guess be OK.

pto.JPG

The diameter of the washer i was using wash too large.  And i may not have not tightened the center bolt enough.  The center bolt is supposed to thread into the engine shaft correct?  Or is it supposed to thread into the electric PTO? If you can enlarge my picture you can see what looks like mashed threads in the PTO.   Still not sure purpose of bolt?  Used to secure PTO or used to back off when removing PTO?  There are a lot of questions in this post.  Sorry, i am still in a food coma.

20181123_142026.jpg

pfrederi

The 3/8 bolt threads into the end of the engine crank shaft and need to be tight  (you have to lock up the engone or you will just start turning it over when you tighten the bolt.  The large threads you see inside (5/8-18) are used to get the PTO off thIMG_0234.JPG.5c6867a6c2e5ed234e9048ebb094b6d5.JPGIMG_0235.JPG.8406e22d1c160052852d08563782a5a0.JPGIMG_0236.JPG.55c3e85a0bc61e69c7078745236a6691.JPGe crankshaft

WildmanC120

I used a strap wrench to hold the pto from spinning. I torqued the bolt to 50 foot pounds for the pto. I believe it was a 3/8-24 bolt, approx 2" long. 

Your washer should be small enough to fit down inside. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Or use impact to tighten clutch

WildmanC120
9 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

Or use impact to tighten clutch

I would never do that.  You break that bolt off in the crank and you are going to have a real bad time. 

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
Just now, WildmanC120 said:

I would never do that.  You break that bolt off in the crank and you are going to have a real bad time. 

True I use a battery power 3/8 drive impact never snap one off. Now more powerful impact is a no lol