Vinylguy

VINYLGUY'S 857 PROJECT

Vinylguy

Here is a picture of my fuel valve.

Did not appear to be leaking at the hose clamp but I will remove the gas line next chance I  get and make sure it is the valve and not the hose.

When you open the valve fully it just drips a bit but as you close to half way it leaks a small steam.

PETCOCK.jpg.0211c1a0bc92b78983087b77176e652b.jpg

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Vinylguy said:

Where should I look to find another petcock for the tank? 

Lincoln has those at a - z tractor

• Like 1

Vinylguy
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Lincoln has those at a - z tractor

Thanks Eric. I will call him Monday

• Thanks 1

ronhatch

Concerning the leaking gas valve; Tighten up the packing nut a little with a 7/16" wrench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vinylguy
1 minute ago, ronhatch said:

Concerning the leaking gas valve; Tighten up the packing nut a little with a 7/16" wrench.

Will check it out Monday Thanks Ron

953 nut
2 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

When you open the valve fully it just drips a bit but as you close to half way it leaks a small steam.

If tightening the packing nut doesn't do the trick you can buy a new one on :techie-ebay:under the heading of fuel shut off 1/8 NPT.

• Thanks 1

Vinylguy
31 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If tightening the packing nut doesn't do the trick you can buy a new one on :techie-ebay:under the heading of fuel shut off 1/8 NPT.

:text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1

Vinylguy
On 11/17/2018 at 7:13 PM, Vinylguy said:

:text-thankyouyellow:

Ordered a seal and a new shut off valve yesterday. Should arrive Friday.

Hope to get time to make these repairs next week. The deck is in like new condition with no repairs or signs of rot

yet it does have some dried grass clumps underneath and the blades are rusty looking. Think I will remove it and clean it up while we're at it.

Also does not seem to be any slop in the rear axles at all. My commando had about an 1/8 to 1/4 play back and forth.

Can't wait to start her back up again and make a short video. It sounds great for sitting for 8 years.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
On 11/17/2018 at 5:04 PM, Vinylguy said:

Here is a picture of my fuel valve.

Did not appear to be leaking at the hose clamp but I will remove the gas line next chance I  get and make sure it is the valve and not the hose.

PETCOCK.jpg.0211c1a0bc92b78983087b77176e652b.jpg

That type of hose clamp works poorly on small fuel lines, consider replacing it with a spring clamp.

• Like 2

19richie66

Looks great for sitting 8 years also!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vinylguy

Today we begin. Replacing the flywheel side seal and decided to powder coat a few things.

Also removed the dash and are going to try out a different tactic. Was going to put one of my dash decals but decided to powder coat it chrome and just use the bottom section decal

And try to cut the very tiny letters from black vinyl for the dreaded rib. Will post pics when done. Gary is blasting air cleaner cover, dash and flywheel screen in preparation for powder coating while I am bagging and marking bolts and taking pics. Also going to replace the ignition switch. Discovered the lighter was not wired so it probably does not work.  We will find out soon enough on that.

Cleaning a ton of oil and grime off the case. 

20181130_134729.jpg.5523829d918f0d1f75a7e0b9a594e39a.jpg

20181130_133641.jpg

20181130_113821.jpg

20181130_133210.jpg

This steering cap decal is a bit larger than the ones I make. 

Will be making both sizes from now on.

20181130_112108.jpg

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 6

Sparky

Makin good progress!

Chris G

Sounds like your moving along pretty steady. I'm thinking you will have a great machine when your done!

19richie66

Research and development. Write those expenses off 😎

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ronhatch

I always thought that  the late 1960 WH with the narrow hoods were the best looking units except for the steering wheel's position. IMO, it's too close to the dash/hood. So on my 867 I committed a mortal sin and added about 2" to the steering shaft which makes it look better (again IMO) and is more comfortable and has a more natural feeling.  :twocents-02cents:

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
Just now, ronhatch said:

I always thought that  the late 60 WH with the narrow hoods were the best looking units except for the steering wheel's position. IMO, it's too close to the dash/hood. So on my 867 I committed a mortal sin and added about 2" to the steering shaft which makes it look better (again IMO) and is more comfortable and has a more natural feeling.  :twocents-02cents:

You know Ron, I have to admit I agree with that. The 1267 that I'm trying to build as a snow plow tractor is a bit odd for me to drive because I am a bit of a bear and that steering wheel is kind of on the low side for me. I may do that modification as well.

• Excellent 1

Vinylguy

Powder coated the dash today.

Going to try an idea I mentioned earlier. It was powder coated black  and now it's chrome. It has some pitting but that's ok. Not looking for a show piece  just nice looking worker. 

20181130_114309.jpg.e8874f3ca748da5dc716f08195619f7f.jpg

20181130_171348.jpg.063117f3fb05f9dd139a64f3ed0921ec.jpg

19richie66

Looks good to me!

• Like 1

Vinylguy

I'll know in about 15 minutes if it will work as planned Rich. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

19richie66

I’ll be waiting.........:occasion-partyblower:

Vinylguy

Got in a bit of a hurry so I will redo this one and make some adjustments in the template while at it. Was able to cut the red wheel horse lettering ok and the black words on the rib are printed on a strip of clear. The bottom is cut from one of my current dash decals. 

20181130_183046.jpg.26adfd2e5ab3532a961175ae832a3ff2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Vinylguy

I wont be ready to reinstall the dash for a week or two so have time to perfect this 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

Got in a bit of a hurry so I will redo this one and make some adjustments in the template while at it. Was able to cut the red wheel horse lettering ok and the black words on the rib are printed on a strip of clear. The bottom is cut from one of my current dash decals. 

20181130_183046.jpg.26adfd2e5ab3532a961175ae832a3ff2.jpg

Terry I think that looks fantastic. We have a couple more to do here. Please keep sharing how you get that done. We'll be interested to see how it comes out.

rjg854

Nothing wrong with that, looks great,  wouldn't mind seeing that on one of my Commandos :ychain:

• Thanks 1