Sparky

Kohler K fin count

Sparky

Are all Kohler K series the same? I’m talking about the fins. I heard that there are different fin counts (12 or 13 or 14??) Just trying to confirm or deny what I heard. I have three Kohler K-301’s here and all have 13 fins. If there was a difference which are better? Or more rare?

diesel cowboy

As far as I know it was on the 16s.  They had either 12 or 13 fins.  Not sure about rare but from what I've heard the 13 fin is prefered cause the block is thicker?  Never had both sitting on a bench at the same time to measure the thickness so I'm not 100% sure about it

Sparky

Ok, Now I know it doesn't apply to my three 12hp and one 14hp motor.

Thanks!! 

oliver2-44

I've heard Kohler had some blocks cast with thicker walls and then could machine them as a 12,14 or 16hp.  So a 12 hp would have thicker walls and a 16 hp normal thickness walls, possible as a way to help there manufacturing respond to sales demands.  I've heard you can tell these blocks by fin count, but I'l like you and would really like to know more,

Sparky

So the 12 and 13 fin thing only applies to the K341... Thanks the info guys!

• Like 1

Lee1977

I have a 12 HP K with 13 fins that came from the factory no my C-120. I don't know if they machined it by mistake or that maybe it didn't pass inspection for 16 HP. Right now It's bored 30 over and the 12 HP crank shaft is bad. The block is stamped E16.

SAM-0769.jpg

SAM-0772.jpg

bc.gold

Interesting information with the fin count, an old Cub Cadet I had brought home from the landfill has the 13 fin Kohler that I will part out for anyone looking for a block or other parts carb is missing.