71_Bronco

Kohler Head & Flywheel Questions

71_Bronco

As you guys know, I'm rebuilding my K321 for my Bronco 14. I have 2 questions regarding the motor.

First question is on the flywheel. I was cleaning it all up, and noticed that one of the magnets (I think that's what they are) are chipped. I took a pic and posted it below. All other pieces inside the flywheel are fine. I would assume this is okay, but just wanted to make sure.

Second is regarding the head. I ran a tap (with oil) into the block to chase the threads for the head bolts. I also ran a die over the bolts to remove any crud from the threads. When i tighten the head bolts, do I use the same torque setting as if the bolts were new? I thought I read somewhere that when you re-use bolts, you torque them to a different setting due to them being heat cycled and "stretched" already. I don't know, maybe I am thinking of something else.

On a side note, is it recommended to use new head bolts each time you take off the head?

8.jpg

• Like 1

Achto

I don't believe that those chips in the magnets are any thing to be concerned about. As for the head bolts - I usually reuse the head bolts on Kohler engines and have not had an issue. My normal procedure is to torque them to factory specs, then run the engine until till it is good & warm. I will then re-torque the head bolts while the engine is warm. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

I would smooth the edges where the chips are missing.  It may prevent further damage.

Edited by Ed Kennell

RandyLittrell

I have always reused the head bolts and don't see an issue with it. Some will disagree with me, but I will reuse the head gasket too if its in good shape. I paint both sides with aluminum paint and so far, no leaks! 

Randy

The Tuul Crib

Yeah the head bolts are a grade 8 and I don't know they would lose their  strength overtime. As said just torc  to factory specs should be fine. As for the flywheel does not look like there is enough missing to make a difference .:twocents-02cents:

rmaynard

I would use a coating of never-seize on the head bolts, especially the ones near the exhaust. Trust me, twenty years from now you will appreciate it.

• Like 3