Daron1965

M18 no spark

Daron1965

I pick up a tractor for $50 today. It has a 1986 kohler M18. Hoping to get it running. I can not get any juice to the plugs.   It has been messed with by PO.   I checked points. Look good.   It has a yellow wire coming from the dash area,  red wire from points to coil.  Both are hot with key in run position,  both go dead when engaging starter. It's in a cub 1811.

Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm overlooking something

IMG_20181027_125530.jpg

pfrederi

Messed with would be an understatement M 18 (magnums didn't have coil and points they had Magnetos  What is spec # and model number of the engine???

Daron1965

I just assumed it was an M18, I bought the tractor for parts, parts worth well over my $50 investment.   Anyone know what motor it is? I will get sheet metal removed and look for tag. 

IMG_20181027_111024.jpg

IMG_20181027_132225.jpg

Achto
26 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

Both are hot with key in run position,  both go dead when engaging starter.

This could be an ignition switch issue. Some switches will cut all power except to the starter when in the start position. I would also venture to guess that your ignition switch has a terminal G = ground & M = magneto. If this is so, this is the wrong switch for this ignition set up. You will need a switch that has an I = ignition and no G at all..

To by pass the switch for testing. Remove the all wires from the + side of the coil, Attach a separate wire to the + side of the coil that will be long enough to reach the + post on the battery. While cranking the engine, touch this wire to the + post on the battery, you should get spark by doing this.

• Like 1

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

From Picture i would Guess a KT 17  (or possibly KT19).  There was no 18hp KT series

Achto
42 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

IMG_20181027_125530.jpg

Some questions about the pic above. What is the black wire for?  Also wondering about the multiple wire butt spice going on in there. 

The coil should be wired as such. Keyed battery power to the + side of the coil. A wire from the points and a wire to the condenser on the - side of the coil. 

953 nut

First you should remove all the wires that the previous owner has on the coil. Inspect and clean and adjust the points and connect the wire from the  points to the "-" side of the coil (leave the condenser off for now). Run a 12 volt jumper to the "+" side of the coil and see if it has spark when it is cranked over. If you have spark then connect the condenser and try it. Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

Daron1965

From the short amount of time that I messed with it (waiting for garage to heat up) yellow wire goes toward ignition switch,  red wires,  butt connected together then to coil.  Black wire traced down a few inches toward back of motor.   When I go back out,  I will trace black wire all the way.   The guy was setting tractor up for his grandaughter  to pull,  but she did not want anything to do with it.  He was moving sold to stop from paying to have it moved. 

pfrederi

Just looked at a KT 17 on my C175.  only 2 wires on the coil + from ignition switch and one black one  (-) that goes to the points.  The Condenser is fed by a wire coming out of the points cover...

• Like 2

Daron1965

Wife came home and reminded me of dinner plans we had,  so won't get back into garage until tomorrow morning.  I will try the suggested wiring.  

Thank you all for your help.  I will keep you updated. 

:thanks:  

• Thanks 1

Daron1965
7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Just looked at a KT 17 on my C175.  only 2 wires on the coil + from ignition switch and one black one  (-) that goes to the points.  The Condenser is fed by a wire coming out of the points cover...

I have one wire coming from the points,  that splits.  One to coil,  one to condenser. Going to try and trace the others to there end in the morning.  Will try the wiring suggested. 

• Like 1

Daron1965

I have been working 14 or 16hr shifts for the last 8 days,  so I have not had much time to do anything. I got home from work a few minutes ago,  went into garage. I pulled the side tins off and took a few more pictures.  Can not find any tag.  (quick look)

IMG_20181104_144114.jpg

IMG_20181104_144141.jpg

IMG_20181104_144120.jpg