Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Removing the pulley on a starter generator

Horse'n Around

Howdy,

I got a starter generator for my 702 and it origionally came off of a 701. I want to take off the 2 groove pulley and put a single groove pulley on it. I removed the nut that holds on the pulley,but the pulley is on pretty tight. Are they pressed on? I notice that there is a key on the shaft so that leads me to believe that it isnt a tapered shaft and that it might be being a bit stubborn.There is no rust present but I gave it a shot of PB Blaster anyway to help things along. What is the right way to remove the pulley? Also I still need to get the correct single groove pulley for it. In photos it looks like the single groove pulley is a larger diameter than the 2 groove pulley.Where is a good place to buy the correct pulley and what is the right diameter for it? I was thinking that a place that rebuilds generators might be able to sell one to me as long as I know what size I need. What do you think

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

04fxdwgi

Howdy,

I got a starter generator for my 702 and it origionally came off of a 701. I want to take off the 2 groove pulley and put a single groove pulley on it. I removed the nut that holds on the pulley,but the pulley is on pretty tight. Are they pressed on? I notice that there is a key on the shaft so that leads me to believe that it isnt a tapered shaft and that it might be being a bit stubborn.There is no rust present but I gave it a shot of PB Blaster anyway to help things along. What is the right way to remove the pulley? Also I still need to get the correct single groove pulley for it. In photos it looks like the single groove pulley is a larger diameter than the 2 groove pulley.Where is a good place to buy the correct pulley and what is the right diameter for it? I was thinking that a place that rebuilds generators might be able to sell one to me as long as I know what size I need. What do you think

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

A good place to get almost any power transmission equipment ( bearings, pulleys and such) would be W. W. Grainger. They used to be the K-Mart of industry, but prices crept up, but they have store fronts EVERYWHERE and they have a good online system. Here is a link to the pulley section of the online catalog.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/produ...selected=Pulley

Another would be McMaster / Carr, but they are very expensive.

04fxdwgi

Oh yeah, forgot.... To remove the pulley, put a wheel / gear puller on the pulley, put a good strain on the shaft with the puller, apply some heat to the pulley hub (get her real hot) then smack the end of the puller screw with a hammer a couple of times. The pulley should "pop" off. You'll be amazed on how well this will work.

Buzz

Oh yeah, if you get the pulley off without damaging it, don't loose it. There are probably several people looking for the elusive double pulley for the generator.

Horse'n Around

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it a lot! I never thought of that, theres a WW Granger in Tucson, I will be a block away from there on Thursday, Im going to stop by and see what they have.Thanks again for the help!

John