dave647

1985 310-8 steering shaft bearing

dave647

i was reading about 310's cowl breaking at steering flanged bushing hole. if there is enough metal left on either side could the  flanged bearing (# 6472)  be used in that location? may need some fitting required. any thoughts on this idea? thanks dave

JAinVA

The 6472 bearing is a popular fix.I added one to a non damaged steering panel on my 312 custom.You will need to restrain the shaft at the base of the bearing with a lock collar if the shaft has a snap ring.

• Excellent 1

peter lena

flange bearing is the way to go, done this 3 times now, mounted the bearing under the horizontal brace, giving you plenty of room for nylock nuts and washers on the top side of brace. last one I did I used 3/4 " pvc pipe to cover steering shaft to bottom of steering wheel. Painted it black , looks good. also good time to shim up steering wheel hole to shaft, I used two thin strips of s/s shim stock 5 thou, one on either side of the spring pin to mount wheel. very solid , no wobbles or play in steering column. I use a 3/4" 2 bolt flange  bearing, eBay 7 $ , good luck with your project pete

• Like 2

peter lena

by the way, while I am there , with the top support of the dash ,unbolted. that is a good time to washer up the sloppy pto lever linkage. at best that is a very poorly set up unit, you will be looking right at its  loose problem. I use Teflon and steel washers to firm up any pivotal area along with super /lube Teflon , spray or grease. the difference is what it should be, solid and effortless. I also heim joint rod end to pto clutch area . this only my idea , if I upset the purists, leave it alone, pete   

• Like 1

cleat

Can we get a pic or two of the PTO heim joint setup ?

peter lena

trying to find them on this site, I put them on pto, clutch rod, snow plow lever rod and steering quadrant. looking , Pete

bigcreek

Gents 

I realize this a re hash, but I am in the middle of fixing up a trashed 310-8 steering and want to try the flange bearing fix, but the housing will need a weld or two first, anyone have more pics of this fix?

many thanks