eibbed

Battery cable end is bad. Repair or Replace?

DennisThornton

My favorite way to attach the end is to solder it.  Best electrical connection! 

• Like 1

Tractorhead
15 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

My favorite way to attach the end is to solder it.  Best electrical connection! 

Hi Dennis,

please don't missanderstood me... but i don't be with you.

solder isn't solder. A good Soldering lasts, no doubt.

But i never would preferr, solder things outside, faced to Weather.

My experience for year's was, that soldered things outside, rips mostly next to the Soldering.

The capillareffect sucks water beside the soldered into cable and oxydations starts invisible.

I worked for more as 30 years permanent with both type of connections, crimping and soldering.

A good crimped and well protected end, lasts longer like a soldered one.

A well Crimped end, has better electrical conductivity than soldered, no doubt about it, 

because well crimped, depresses the coper together with the end to non "ripable" because of the Pressureheat.

All other, was wrong made or worse Tools or cheap Material.

If you get right crimping tools and good material (ends) you can't rip off the end,

this will be absolutely impossible, the Cable itself will rips 100% before the end goes.

Stefan

DennisThornton

Most folks don't have the right crimping tools for larger electrical connections but many have the ability to make a small solder joint.  I've never seen a well made solder joint fail but I've seen lots of crimp joints fail!  Granted, they weren't done well and

/or they had no protection from the weather, but many were factory made and failed horribly.  And there's nothing preventing a crimped joint from being soldered afterwards.  It still seems to me that a soldered joint will have MUCH greater contact area for a better electrical connection plus filling all the areas where water could collect preventing corrosion. 

Razorback

Clip it off, replace it with a new terminal.... solder, preferably.

Tractorhead
16 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Most folks don't have the right crimping tools for larger electrical connections but many have the ability to make a small solder joint.  I've never seen a well made solder joint fail but I've seen lots of crimp joints fail!  Granted, they weren't done well and

/or they had no protection from the weather, but many were factory made and failed horribly.  And there's nothing preventing a crimped joint from being soldered afterwards.  It still seems to me that a soldered joint will have MUCH greater contact area for a better electrical connection plus filling all the areas where water could collect preventing corrosion. 

Hi Dennis, 

because of your first sentence, i be with you.

But as i mentioned, a good quality Tool and good material provided! 👍