Sign in to follow this  
dave647

5060 proper seals

dave647

i have just finished the engine rebuild and now i'm starting on the transmission. it is a 5060 with 1" axles and a 3/4" brake drum shaft. all the seals i come up with are for 1 1/8" axles and a 1" brake drum shaft. any help would be appreciated

pfrederi

look at the pinned topic top of this forum bearing and seal cross numbers

stevasaurus

Sorry Dave...if you have 1" axles, it is not a #5060 transmission.  If your transmission has the hi/low lever and 1" axles, it is a #5086.  Look at the pinned cross reference thread at the top of the transmissions page.  Check out PDF #3.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Also, you will not find a 10 pinion limited slip differential, you will find a cute little 4 pinion regular differential.  :banana-linedance:

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Believe this tractor is a 310-8 with maroon decals so 1985-1989 model using 110996 transmission.

Click on the fuzzy picture.

Garry

Dave - post all the numbers off the engine including the serial number and will see if we can determine the exact tractor model number.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dave647

Kohler 10HP  Model# K241S  Sec# 46849   Serial# 15053108  Also would like to know thickness of transmission case gasket. is the axle end-play controlled by the gasket thickness.

Edited by dave647

gwest_ca
5 hours ago, dave647 said:

Kohler 10HP  Model# K241S  Sec# 46849   Serial# 15053108  Also would like to know thickness of transmission case gasket. is the axle end-play controlled by the gasket thickness.

Your tractor model number is 21-10K801 because 1985 was the only year Wheel Horse used the Kohler 46849 spec number. Kohler also made your engine in 1985. We often see 1984 engines on 1985 model tractors.

We do not have any original manuals for your tractor but here is what we do have. 12 different file titles.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q="21-10k801"&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or

Have an original transmission gasket and it is .015" thick which is very close to 1/64" thick. It will affect the end play but the end play is not controlled by the gasket thickness. End play is not critical and ends up being what the axles and differential parts stack up to be in the case.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Dave, just so you know...the 5086 transmission is just an older version of the 110996 transmission.  Not sure what the exact difference is, but the bearings, seals and case gasket are the same.  The 5060 transmission thread will still be useful, just not the same differential.  :)  The case gasket is #3912 and is available from TORO for about $6. 

• Thanks 1

jeepdave

It's good to see you can still get case gaskets for these.

I was concerned RTV was the only option.. 

stevasaurus

I would never use RTV in these transmission cases when you can get gasket material from AutoZone and make your own.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1