Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

520-8 muffler

littleredrider

So i swapped the muffler from a donor 520 with a engine with mine. Donor had pretty chrome heat shield, and not knowing till after it’s on that it’s rusty and leaks. So, rather that spending a small fortune on a replacement, what have some of you done for one of these? Think maybe a Y-pipe and a single stack/muffler, or maybe two of  the hot dog style, but not it sure it there big enough for the ‘ol 20 horse.

WVHillbilly520H
15 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

So i swapped the muffler from a donor 520 with a engine with mine. Donor had pretty chrome heat shield, and not knowing till after it’s on that it’s rusty and leaks. So, rather that spending a small fortune on a replacement, what have some of you done for one of these? Think maybe a Y-pipe and a single stack/muffler, or maybe two of  the hot dog style, but not it sure it there big enough for the ‘ol 20 horse.

How much of it is rusted? My elbow was shot but the rest of the muffler was sound. And the chrome is just a fancy cover over the heat shield held on by those Philips head screws, any :wh: Onan muffler 16-20 HP will work, also here's a pic of the 315-8 I snagged a while back, it's not O.E. but a darned good good replica.

IMAG2956.jpg

IMAG2959.jpg

IMAG2955.jpg

Screenshot_20181005-124520.png

littleredrider

I think it’s coming from the muffler itself. I wanted it just for the chrome cover but couldnt get the screws out, so took the whole thing. It didn’t sound as bad on donor tractor but with only one cylinder firing prolly couldn’t tell lol. I’ll look into it, maybe hit  the junkyard, they have onans in there now n then. 

Edited by littleredrider

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, littleredrider said:

I think it’s coming from the muffler itself. I wanted it just for the chrome cover but couldnt get the screws out, so took the whole thing. It didn’t sound as bad on donor tractor but with only one cylinder firing prolly couldn’t tell lol. I’ll look into it, maybe hit  the junkyard, they have onans in there now n then. 

Do you have an impact screwdriver and a map gas torch? I thought I couldn't get mine out either till used the impact.https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3-8-in-Drive-Impact-Screwdriver-Set-7-Piece-2905/205674679

littleredrider

its' long gone. I sold the bad motor with the good muffler. Prolly should have kept it, but oh well.