Artmilaca

520h throttle problem

Artmilaca

I just picked up a 520h that has various little problems. 

It has a an Onan P220

#1 on the list is that the throttle control will not stay in place. If you set it at a higher speed it will fall right back to cut off.

Before I tear into this I was wondering if anybody might have a clue as to the problem.

Edited by Artmilaca
Additional

WHX??

First off :WRS: if I haven't done so already.

Age old problem here. You will have to take the control off the dash and tighten up the rivet that holds tension on the lever. I have had to drill the rivet out and replace with machine screw and wave washers. Some had a little detent to hold it at WOT & that may be worn down as well. Fix with some brazing and Dremel work.   The other alternative is just to replace the whole assembly, they are available yet.

Artmilaca

WHX21

Thanks for the information I will check that out

varosd

Others  have squeezed the rivet with channel locks or also preened it with a hammer

i bought a 416 and the PO had this elaborate cut out metal piece that swung down to lock the throttle in place

it took me more time removing it than simply squeezing the rivet to fix it. 

Ed Kennell

I have bought several tractors that use these as a lock.Vise Grip Vise Grip 7 in. Pliers with Cutter, Locking

IMG_3301.JPG.260d5ee8133eb7032fca49437783f184.JPG

• Haha 1

lynnmor

You should be able to put a small screw thru the rivet.  Use a high strength screw like a socket head cap screw, washers and a locknut.  Simply squeeze it till the friction is enough to hold the throttle in place.

• Like 2

Artmilaca

Yeh, The Squeeze was going to be my first attempt. Then Mash with a hammer on the Anvil next 😂

formariz

Have the same issue on my 520. It will come down from full throttle to about half.Same happens with my Electro. In the spirit of making things easy specially with something which will occur again in the future due to wear, this is my solution on the 520.

IMG_1545.JPG.0adc652e015ff2a1686dc6adabfeb2e7.JPG

WVHillbilly520H
On 10/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, Ed Kennell said:

I have bought several tractors that use these as a lock.Vise Grip Vise Grip 7 in. Pliers with Cutter, Locking

IMG_3301.JPG.260d5ee8133eb7032fca49437783f184.JPG

Usually I just use the vice grips to tighten up that friction joint on the throttle lever, remove the battery and squeeze away.

• Like 1

Artmilaca
19 hours ago, formariz said:

Have the same issue on my 520. It will come down from full throttle to about half.Same happens with my Electro. In the spirit of making things easy specially with something which will occur again in the future due to wear, this is my solution on the 520.

IMG_1545.JPG.0adc652e015ff2a1686dc6adabfeb2e7.JPG

Yep, already using that wire trick

Artmilaca

Thanks and I appreciate all the feedback. I will get it sorted out one way or another.