Pullstart

Mrs. Pullstart

Pullstart

Oh yeah!  A little fine tuning and we’ll be ready for some paint work!

CF42CAC6-E6E5-4B63-859E-437AE8472635.jpeg

52092178-35F2-4528-B268-65C702F62646.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rjg854

I'd clear coat them the way they are,  I like that look. But then that's just me.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I'd clear coat them the way they are,  I like that look. But then that's just me.

I thought about it, but I finally convinced her we should paint something!  :D

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

Not that great an idea Randy, It has been my experience that clear won't stick to unpainted clean steel very long. If you let it flash rust then clear it there will be a little texture to hang onto, but it probably will fail and lift before long. Self-etching Primer bonds to clean steel, paint bonds to primer and clear bonds to the color coat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

That's good to know,   Richard, I didn't know that.  I'll keep that for future reference.  The things you can learn here, never ceases to amaze me. Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

There’s plenty of cleared bare metal on Frank, we’ll see how long it holds up!  If I have to strip it and do something different, we’ll, I’ll just do that.  After the big show :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Jennifer
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

That's good to know,   Richard, I didn't know that.  I'll keep that for future reference.  The things you can learn here, never ceases to amaze me. Thanks 

I agree on the “The things you can learn here, never ceases to amaze me.”  The people on here are so helpful!!!!

• Like 5

Pullstart

Tank wet sanding has begun!  I’ll need to re-cut the hole for the throttle cable too.

I pulled the head off tonight and am concerned about the slop the piston has.  I’ve got a running 12 horse Kohler but I have a feeling it won’t shoehorn into Frank’s engine bay very well.

FACDA67C-693B-49A3-BF76-C4D0D1DE9137.jpeg

• Like 5

Jennifer
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Tank wet sanding has begun!  I’ll need to re-cut the hole for the throttle cable too.

I pulled the head off tonight and am concerned about the slop the piston has.  I’ve got a running 12 horse Kohler but I have a feeling it won’t shoehorn into Frank’s engine bay very well.

FACDA67C-693B-49A3-BF76-C4D0D1DE9137.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing frank completed!  

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Jennifer said:

Looking forward to seeing frank completed!  

Me too!  October was a long time ago when I started!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jennifer
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Me too!  October was a long time ago when I started!

Oh?  I feel it’s going to be well worth it!  

• Thanks 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Presuming the 12 HP (K-301) and the 10 HP (K-241) have the same type of oil pan they have the same block and will bolt right up.

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Presuming the 12 HP (K-301) and the 10 HP (K-241) have the same type of oil pan they have the same block and will bolt right up.

The 301 I have has the deep pan, the 241 is a shaker plate shallow pan.  Could I swap pans and be on my merry way?

Pullstart

The 301 also has a longer stroke.  I’ll get the tape out, but I imagine that means a taller block.  I am slightly maxed out on height allowance.

Pullstart
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I’m seeing two different pan bolt patterns, but it sounds like Lucas is going to be my fix for now.  I won’t doctor the engine up too good, just a good cleaning and plan to do a rebuild after June or July is over.

EB55F543-8F62-4CFD-A3B4-07D08FC5B4D7.jpeg

7D47F27F-7D28-45BF-9477-0015116486A2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

sounds like Lucas is going to be my fix for now.  I won’t doctor the engine up too good, just a good cleaning and plan to do a rebuild after June or July is over.

Sounds like a good plan.     :handgestures-thumbupright:   Too bad the pans aren't the same. Just keep the RPMs low and it will probably hang in there for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

A few more shiney parts...

88E54523-72BF-4A52-B512-1B36F42C289C.jpeg

1E10DB1A-EF22-4535-B49C-5C512114EC2E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES
On 5/30/2019 at 3:56 PM, pullstart said:

Oh yeah!  A little fine tuning and we’ll be ready for some paint work!

CF42CAC6-E6E5-4B63-859E-437AE8472635.jpeg

52092178-35F2-4528-B268-65C702F62646.jpeg

Now, if I was going to clear over something...these would be the items.  :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

:text-yeahthat:  Agreed! But from the previous picture I believe we are too late :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

He’s on step three of quitting the smoking.  First was denial, second was admitting the problem!

6E057242-9984-4D02-BAB4-BEFD0BBBE74D.jpeg

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Yes sir!

EAC4B1E8-0D4E-44CB-9CE4-9E58FEDB084D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Tink Tink.  Well at least if it smokes, nobody will see the residue all over the stack!

7CAA30A8-668C-4853-8E4F-7C0B885E096B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES
4 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

:text-yeahthat:  Agreed! But from the previous picture I believe we are too late :laughing-rolling:

:confusion-shrug:  Nothing another over night bath wouldn't fix. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Haha 3

953 nut
37 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Tink Tink.

If you get the RPMs just right it will send out an S.O.O in Morse Code!     :ychain:  Image result for morse code sos

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell
On 5/31/2019 at 10:23 AM, pullstart said:

I’m seeing two different pan bolt patterns, but it sounds like Lucas is going to be my fix for now.  I won’t doctor the engine up too good, just a good cleaning and plan to do a rebuild after June or July is over.

EB55F543-8F62-4CFD-A3B4-07D08FC5B4D7.jpeg

7D47F27F-7D28-45BF-9477-0015116486A2.jpeg

There are a couple of ways to use that block with the bigger pan. You can make a "gasket" from 1/8" steel to cover the ears of the block and put the shallower pan on it. The holes are in the block for the smaller pan. I suggested that for VinsRJ on youtube and thats what he ended up doing. You can see the spacer in part 6 of the 857 build. Or you can cut the ears off and JB Weld the gap thats left and use the smaller pan. 

Randy

• Like 1