Shuboxlover

D-160 HELP!!!!!

Shuboxlover

So......my old man tells me that his D-160 with loader is leaking oil out of the motor.  He brings it over and tonight I finally had time to look at it.  At first glance the engine is absolutely FILTHY!!!!  I start by taking the air cleaner off and notice there is oil in the air filter compartment....like A LOT, so much so that the filter element is even coated with oil.  I take the air cleaner housing off and the top of the motor is DISGUSTING.  I then took the crankcase breather off and there is oil sitting in port.  When I started it up more oil came up to the breather port.

QUESTION...

What would cause this???

20180926_193857 20180926_193826 20180926_193843

diesel cowboy

I'm not overly familiar with the quirks of the Onan's but when the Kohler twins do that it's usually the reed valve in the breather box has failed in some way.  Or its way over full from gas getting in the oil.                      Stewart

WVHillbilly520H

@Shuboxlover, on the Onan that crankcase breather (Brillo pad/steel wool) either needs cleaned (with carburetor cleaner and compressed air) or completely replaced, and since you just pulled it apart there was some residual oil in there after removing and starting it back up, also an oil change would not hurt , JMO.

The Gman

Glad you got there in time to make it right!!!!