ebinmaine

Remove Hydro. Install 8-speed. 1973 no name 12. What do I need to know?

ebinmaine

As the title implies I have a 1973 no name 12 that I'm going to be building. It currently has a hydro in it that I'm going to be replacing with one of my stock 8 speeds. The seat bracket area appears to be different. 

Are there brake linkages that will be different?

What other kind of strange little things have you run into?

• Like 1

Skipper

This is just what springs to mind. Sure I'm forgetting something :-)

Engine pulley

Other belt size, and perhaps belt guides.

Plate around the shift levers. (don't remember what its called)

Pedals do not work the same, so you will most likely have to do some work and changes there also. Clutch pedal and idler setup is a given.

Seat support

Safety switches and wiring.

Hydro lift to manual lift ?

And if you do it, I would suggest swapping a complete 8 speed inn. With pulley, dipstick etc.

In GT world, that job is almost as big as they come.

I know some will frown upon my viewpoint on it, but don't you think perhaps it was better to trade the hydro inn towards a manual?

Had it been a car, I would have suggested swapping the win number, instead of everything around it :angry-nono: :laughing-rofl:

But you know what. It will certainly be a learning experience, and if you do it, then post tons of pics and info :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, Skipper said:

that job

Hi Skipper and thanks for your response!

Yeah, I definitely agree that it is a daunting task.

I knew before I bought it that I would be doing a full frame disassembly and restoration on this one.

I do absolutely agree with you that if I was looking for a manual transmission tractor that would be the better way to go.

That part really doesn't bother us very much though.

My honey and I totally rebuilt her 657 right down to the last nut bolt washer and screw.... and now we are getting ready to put back together the C160 cinnamon horse after doing the same dismantling procedure.

I do have an interesting old farm tractor style spring seat from one of the auction purchases that I made. Came with a set of modified mid-60s rear fenders and tool box.

Lift mechanism is not on this tractor anyways and I'm also not going to put one on so that part is cool too.

I'll have to look in my pile O' stuff and see what I have for pedals and linkages. Must be something in there.....

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Engine pulley

Oh yes I forgot... What is different about the engine pulley? Different sizes?

• Like 1

Skipper

Yes. :-)

The hydro runs 1:1,

The Manual has a way smaller engine pulley. At least 2:1 if I remember correct.

Or you could leave it as is, and have a race horse...................:D

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

One thing you need to know: The hydro is heavy! :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yes. :-)

The hydro runs 1:1,

The Manual has a way smaller engine pulley. At least 2:1 if I remember correct.

Or you could leave it as is, and have a race horse...................:D

Hhmmmm.....

Hehehe.....

That sounds like it could be somewhat interesting.

And it also has a low gear for when I want to do regular stuff.

2 minutes ago, squonk said:

One thing you need to know: The hydro is heavy! :)

That's okay Mike. But thank you. I'll just get my honey to move it around. She's very strong. You know, sort of.

• Haha 2

953 nut

Eric, I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have a donor tractor with the 8 speed and all the linkage etc. sitting right there. There are a lot of parts and pieces and you will drive yourself crazy (you are almost there anyway :ychain:) making little bits and pieces.

That being said and knowing you will do it anyway,      :wwp:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

Eric, I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have a donor tractor with the 8 speed and all the linkage etc. sitting right there. There are a lot of parts and pieces and you will drive yourself crazy (you are almost there anyway :ychain:) making little bits and pieces.

That being said and knowing you will do it anyway,      :wwp:

Richard my long-distance friend I've been way past crazy for a good many years.

And you're right. I'm going to do this anyway. Winter project, you know.

But all that being said and done. We do actually have at least two different donor tractors and also the auction pile that I can pull parts from.

You give my honey a tractor and a pile of wrenches and she'll take the whole thing apart in less than one day and have it painted and a nice fresh pile of pretty Parts just a few days later.

Then, between the two of us and some assembly and parts manuals...

Well I don't know. It's just our Twisted way of having fun.

:banana-guitar:

• Haha 1

Jerry77
50 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's okay Mike. But thank you. I'll just get my honey to move it around. She's very strong

just so you know - it is 180 pounds...and awkward to handle...happy hernias.....:lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

just so you know - it is 180 pounds...and awkward to handle...happy hernias.....:lol:

This one won't actually be that bad....

Only part of it is there and it's empty of fluids.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

it's empty of fluids

Wow, that cuts it down to 170 pounds!          :ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Wow, that cuts it down to 170 pounds!          :ychain:

well there's no fan and there's no filter and there's other stuff missing that should be bolted onto the side like a pulley or whatever.

160 lb Max!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA !!!!!

• Haha 1

pfrederi

Bottom line they made a 12 no name 8 speed as well.  You should look at the parts diagrams for it and the auto 1-0460 and 1-0465 and see how many different parts you will need...it will be a bunch

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Bottom line they made a 12 no name 8 speed as well.  You should look at the parts diagrams for it and the auto 1-0460 and 1-0465 and see how many different parts you will need...it will be a bunch

Oh yeah. The whole back half of the tractor. And then some.....

Definitely going to turn out to be a Franken horse project.

no worries. It'll give us something to do for a bit.

Chris G

Well I'm currently making my 14hp b80. It's kinda of a similar deal. I had a bronco 14 auto and I was just gonna transfer a 8 speed to it. Well when I realized how many parts I would have to change, I ended up just getting the b80 to plant the motor on. I also got lucky and found a 14hp 8 speed that had no engine or hood.  But it did have the choke and throttle cables i needed, belt guard, manual pto and a few other odd things. So my opinion if ya got a good motor I would find a good roller to transplant to. Save a lot of wondering and searching. 

• Like 1