Justice77

Another Transmission, Heavy...

Justice77

Acquired a home made buggy that has what I'm told is a 3 speed, high / low trans from a Wheel Horse tractor. I'm wondering what this is and if any of you can point me in the right direction. Only I.D. I can see so far is sticker w/ "Uni-Drive Pat. 2988185. Atop is a cast iron Kohler 12 hp.

Any clues as to what this tractor was?

Arud7zh.jpg

Fw0sPHW.jpg

K6yYxIW.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square. 

What direction would you like to be pointed in??  :)  About the only thing on your buggy that is Wheel Horse is your transmission.  It is either a 6 or 8 speed, that depends on what differential is in there, and where the brake drum is located.

What are you looking to do with it??  :think:

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            It appears to be a "Fromall", has parts and pieces from all kinds of equipment!             :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

I'd say somebody had a vivid imagination ! And an awful lot of spare parts to go with it!  Pretty cool 😎 

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

I'd say somebody had a vivid imagination !

And suicidal tendencies......mounting the fuel tank over his head.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The Tuul Crib

My guess maybe a 300 or 400 series.

squonk
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

And suicidal tendencies......mounting the fuel tank over his head.

At least the muffler is pointed away from it! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Justice77

OK, thanks all.

Back story is that this was a teenagers project build. He learned to weld on this and all about automotive systems. His desire was to be an automotive engineer. According to his dad, who I got this from, his son graduated w/ an engineering degree and recently landed a job with Ford.

This was the project he "cut-his-teeth" on. I bought it to cut up for parts and steel. I'm told it ran when parked. I'll figure out something to do with the trans. I was told it's 3 speed w/ high and low range so what you all call a 6 speed. Maybe I'll build a rat-rod / Frankenstein tractor. I recall spotting a rusty old waterfall grill surround and a couple fenders on a clients property. If they let me have them then that would be what I could use for inspiration to get something started.

• Excellent 2

953 nut

:woohoo:

I love to see a good Frankenhorse build.   If done well they can be a lot of fun.               :wwp:

• Like 1

Justice77
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:

I love to see a good Frankenhorse build.   If done well they can be a lot of fun.               :wwp:

I totally agree. The artist in me loves to create.

• Like 1

fast88pu

C121

pfrederi

Remind me not to buy any Fords..:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

WHNJ701
10 hours ago, Justice77 said:

OK, thanks all.

Back story is that this was a teenagers project build. He learned to weld on this and all about automotive systems. His desire was to be an automotive engineer. According to his dad, who I got this from, his son graduated w/ an engineering degree and recently landed a job with Ford.

This was the project he "cut-his-teeth" on. I bought it to cut up for parts and steel. I'm told it ran when parked. I'll figure out something to do with the trans. I was told it's 3 speed w/ high and low range so what you all call a 6 speed. Maybe I'll build a rat-rod / Frankenstein tractor. I recall spotting a rusty old waterfall grill surround and a couple fenders on a clients property. If they let me have them then that would be what I could use for inspiration to get something started.

investment?  someday he will become a famous car builder and you can flip for millions at Barret Jackson 

• Haha 2

Justice77
20 hours ago, fast88pu said:

C121

Thank you!

lynnmor

Looks like the trans case is cracked.

Pullstart
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I agree, looking again.   Right side case, near the gusset.  I imagine it’s fixable, with a good brazing rod and a hot torch.

fast88pu
22 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Looks like she was rode hard