Country Cadillac

D-Series pto rpm/compatable?

Country Cadillac

I have read some posts about pto rpm and rotation of the D-series wh, but not totally clear if the 160-200 series has the ability to run a newer brush hog because the splined end doesn't match up to the newer equipment and the rpm , which I believe is 1000rpm & cw, is way too fast.....could someone give me a little info on that , it would be greatly appreciated before I go and buy something that won't do what I want....... :thumbs: Ray

Rollerman

Ray....already gave you the info you were looking for in a previous post of yours.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8123

Easy to get lost in here though....But this is what you need.

My D250 is 200 miles away so I can't verify this first hand for you, but I am 99.9% sure that the rotation and speed on the D250's rear PTO is unique to that tractor and is therefore NOT compatible with standard category 0 or limited cat 1 hitches/PTO's.

On the D-autos, the PTO turns 2000 rpm in a clockwise direction

On the D250 I am pretty sure it spins 1000 rpm in a counterclockwise direction. The tiller designed for this tractor only fits the D250...nothing else. It lacks a top link and has heavy "snorkel" that connects the PTO to the tiller AND stabilizes the tiller.

Most everything you are going to find on any ag equipment lot is going to have the ASAE standard 540 rpm in a clockwise rotation. A speed reducing/dirction changing gearbox was available for the D250 to convert from 1000 CCW to 540 CW, but it alters the location of the PTO shaft enough that it is only to be used with stationary equipment.

You can find 2000 rpm, CW tillers from other manufacturers to work with the D-autos, but finding something that will be "plug and play" for the D250 is much tougher to do.

Before you go to TSC and buy a tiller, please verify the direction of your shaft's rotation and let me know if I am wrong.

Steve

Thats a thread from Steve "wh500special" :thumbs:

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: Thanks Stephen....So if they turn at 2000 rpm what type of equipment were they used for back in the day, excluding stationary stuff with the gear reduction ? I guess their equipment ran at those rpm ? Or did they make some other type of reduction device ? I know these questions probably seem pretty silly to a lot of you but I was never exposed to much farm equipment back then.......thanks for bearing with me....Ray

Jim_M

Ray,

There was a tiller and a rear finish mower available for them. There are still some around and they pop up for sale every now and then.

Jim

Rollerman

Ray I may be way off here...but I believe the implements were made by "Woods"?

They would of had gearing & a PTO compatible with a Horse.

I've wondered if a larger pulley on the PTO drive shaft could be used to slow the PTO speed down enough to be compatible with 1000RPM or even 540RPM implements?

I have an 18Auto with the rear PTO...be nice to find a tiller & all the related peices....but I'm not holding my breath.

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: Stephen ... they must of had the ability to use a brush hog on the D-series tractors and on my previous post, I really didn't get the answer to the question as to wether I could use a brushhog or not. Somewhere , someone must know if they could use brushhogs , tillers, etc..... if not , than the pto that I thought I wanted is pretty much useless and I need to look for a tow behind, is that a correct assumption......or am I way off base here......thanks again......Ray

Rollerman

Ray after looking at the Toro MPV I didn't see that they ever offered a bush hog for a D auto?

I just gave it a quick scan & may have missed it?

Looks like the rear PTO was basically used for a 50" rear tiller, 60" rear finish mower & I belive also a 72" rear finish mower.

The rear PTO is probably also used to power a hydraulic pump for a loader.

When I mentioned Woods as makeing the implements...I'm pretty sure they made the finish mowers for Wheelhorse to there specs.

Jim_M

The loader pump drives off of the pto clutch on the front of the tractor. The pump mounts in the front attachment hitch. you can have a loader and a tiller or finish mower on the tractor at the same time, but not a loader and a belly mount deck.

HarleyMan46929

I have been nosing around on the TORO MPV, and the 60" finish mower doesn't use a gearbox, it's just the PTO shaft going back and attaching to the pulley/horizontal drive spindle that drives the three spindles that turn the blades, therefore there wouldn't be any problem with over-speed on a gearbox. The mower was likely built/designed by Woods, since it seems to use only one belt to run all three spindles, which is a Woods-hallmark design; I believe they used to call it "uni-belt" drive, but I'm not certain of that.

(Woods mowers are darn good mowers, I know from experience. My dad bought one in 1970, and it was used under 2 different tractors, and I finally got it wore out in 2003! 33 yrs is a good long time to run a mower, and not exactly an easy yard to mow: 7 acres, with tree roots, rocks hidden just below the grass-tops, and a culvert hidden that got hit almost every time we mowed. It had been welded numerous times, but it still mowed almost as good as it did when new!!!)

The tiller, on the other hand, had a gearbox/chain case driven by the PTO shaft from the tractor. Unfortunately, the tiller's schematic is not available. Hopefully, some one at TORO will get busy and find a schematic for those that may still exist and will someday need parts. They do list the parts, which I find a bit crazy (why list parts without a schematic to identify them against?), and one of those parts is a "reduction gear", but since there's no schematic, no one can make out just where it's supposed to be in the machine. Smooth move, Ex-lax (Toro)!!!

Just thought I'd add the tiny bit of knowledge that I've gained lately!

That's all, Folks!!!!

d180man

Hi like all the members sead yes they can use a PTO 50" rear tiller, 60" rear finish mower & 72" rear finish mower and they are made by woods and yes the loader is powerd by the pulley on the engine not the pto ! i have all of them but the 72" but i have see i brush hog one one years ago but it has to be a 2000 rpm model or you can get a flat mower to like mott ! here is a photo of a 60" mower

60MOWER.jpg

and a 50" tiller

50TILLER.jpg

you can not use a new model from tsc or rualking stores try a old tractor store to see if they have some old one around? i know a guy that put a ac tiller on his ! and i have had my tiller on a ac but it is best if you can find the ones made for wheelhorse!

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: thank you guys.....I knew you fellas had the info about the D series pto attachments and I want you to know that I appreciate all the info that has been given. It's been an education on what was produced for the pto setup on the D-series and now I just have to decide if I want to put one on mine. a 50" tiller and a 60" finish mower I could turn into something I could use as a mower for the back 5 acres. Would need to increase the heigth of the deck for the tall stuff, but that shouldn't too tuff. There are a few woods delears up here and I'm going to check out what they have. If anyone knows the where abouts of a tiller and finish mower.... You know I would love to hear about them.......now that was some info I really want to say thanks............Ray