Schrec050584

Wheelhorse 312-8 rear end gear lube change

Schrec050584

Can someone tell me how to drain the rear. Where is the plug? Pics please if you have them. All input is greatly appricated

pfrederi

Bottom of tranny just to the left of the front end of the hitch part that goes under the case.

You will need a 1/4" allen wrench, also ir is probably packed with dirt/crud so you will have to clean it out before trying to remove it.

• Like 1

JAinVA

To get all the gear lube out you will need to raise the front of the tractor as well.There is a hump in the bottom of the case that prevents full drainage unless the front end is elevated.

clueless
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

To get all the gear lube out you will need to raise the front of the tractor as well.There is a hump in the bottom of the case that prevents full drainage unless the front end is elevated.

:text-yeahthat:Raise the front up at least 18 inches.

• Like 1

Mows4three

The plug on the side of the transaxle case that you can turn with an open end wrench is NOT the drain plug (first photo).  The pipe plug on the bottom (uses an Allen key wrench) is the one you want to use for draining.

My limited experience only in changing my 312-8 transaxle gear lube:

1). Leave gearbox in gear.

2). Block rear wheels.

3). Raise with a car jack under the center of the front axle being careful not to snap off the Zerk fitting that lubes the axle pivot point.  I made a special 2x2 with a notch cut in it so it would straddle the Zerk fitting. Raise the front end 18-20" and place jack stands under the axle.

4). If oil is cloudy or dirty when you drain it, put one quart kerosene and one quart ATF in the case through the dipstick tube and run around your yard for ten minutes to loosen up the junk in the case.  Don't subject to any steep inclines or work the transmission too hard.

5). Drain case again and add two oz. Lucas oil treatment and top off with 90 weight (or equivalent) gear oil.  The Lucas product gives the oil "sling" like chainsaw oil and prevents dry gear starts.  

Check oil and lube regularly.   It's very cheap insurance. 

Cheers!

Dave

Latrobe, PA

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

Edited by Mows4three
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1