Brent Fabian

400 steering wheel

Brent Fabian

I'm working on my wheel horse 400, and I can't figure out how to get the hood off completely. I know there's three bolts then it slides off the steering column, but how do you get the steering wheel off? Mine has this little pin on the side of the wheel, do you just hammer this pin out and pop the wheel off? 

15352239345553061257919987959255.jpg

953 nut
9 minutes ago, Brent Fabian said:

Mine has this little pin on the side of the wheel, do you just hammer this pin out and pop the wheel off?

Yes, you will need a pin punch and if it isn't moving freely you will want to brace the steering shaft against the wall to keep from bending it. Lots of penetrating oil and a bunch of patience will probably be needed.

wallfish

If you can't get the wheel off the shaft. Knock the roll pin out of the steering gear at the bottom of the shaft and remove that gear from the shaft.  That lower roll pin should be easier to remove. There's a lock collar up on the shaft under the hood stand which keeps the shaft from just pulling out. It won't want to slide on the shaft easily because of the paint and rust so they can be a pain to remove. Sometimes it's easier to just carefully cut off and replace it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tankman

:text-yeahthat: Takes patience and penetrating oil. Takes time too' Oil, wait a day. Oil, wait another day. Oil, wait yet another day. 

• Like 1

peter lena

it takes two people to make this easy, using a 1/4" flat head punch, penetrating oil and hammer. have your helper hold the opposed side of the wheel to maximize your hammer punch impact. found using a 2x4 held against steering wheel base , against something solid , will make that pin start to move. your bouncing impact gets you no ware, done that. replacing my steering wheel column bearing with a 2 bolt flange bearing, done this a number of times , makes it much easier , Pete   

• Like 1