drn441

417a Cranks but no start

drn441

I just acquired a 417a.. As it sits it has 1500ish hours on it and does not run.. I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it yet but i would just like to get it started to see if it runs and if its worth putting more time and money into.. so far i can say it is getting fuel but no spark.. i noticed the seat safety switch has the wires cut and wire nutted together.. it has oil and cranks well with a jump pack.. Does anyone know if there are any other interlocks to prevent it from starting.. Also as far as wheel horse tractors go is this a decent model?

IMG_20180725_174535.jpg

IMG_20180725_200133.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

Series 2 engines are good.  See if you have 12 volts at the coil

953 nut

You have a series two KT-17 which is a good thing, they ate much better than the earlier ones.

Have you cleaned the points or checked for spark at the plugs with a 12 volt jumper to the "+" side of the coil?

The Gman

Also....... check the oil pressure sensor switch. It's a normally closed switch (grounds out ignition). When pressure develops it opens.

gwest_ca
51 minutes ago, The Gman said:

Also....... check the oil pressure sensor switch. It's a normally closed switch (grounds out ignition). When pressure develops it opens.

You made me go look but I don't think this is the case.

On the 417 and 420 the engine oil switch controls the oil light only.

The 417 uses battery ignition and the 420 uses magneto ignition so the pto switches are wired differently but that is all I see.

The twin cylinder Kohler models did not get the low oil switch that prevents the starter from working.

This is from the 1986 tractor operator manual.

Garry

Tractor 1986 300 400-Series oil switch 810437R1SS.jpg

• Like 1

The Gman

Hmmmmm, Mine was modified at some point then. It was wired into the coil's circuit.

Maybe because the circuit board was trashed. It took about 5 or 6 cranks to start.

Since put a pressure gage into it.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

drn441

I got it fired up. It ended up being a combination of corroded points and bad gas.. I ran it out of a bottle so I'm going to drain and clean the tank and go from there. Thanks 

• Excellent 1