Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

Tranny Trouble

wallfish

While plowing snow with my 654 today the tranny got stuck in gear. It will drive forward when the stick is in neutral but just overloads the engine and stands still in any other position. It was dark and cold out so I will try to take a look at it tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to look for?

clintonnut

I know exactly what it is!! It happened to our 1054. Not hard to fix.

Take the set screw out of the shifter under the shift boot.

Pull the shifter out (don't be afraid of this)

Peer down with a flashlight and realign the forks with a screwdriver.

Put the shifter back in

GOOD TO GO!!

Usually this is a sign of the shifter detent pin getting worn out which can also cause it to pop out of 3rd gear. Don't pull the tranny out until the shift forks get screwed up again.

Charlie

wallfish

Thanks

That happened on my 8 speed before when the pin came loose but that one would'nt move at all until the forks were re-aligned.

sorekiwi

As Charlie suggested, pull the shift lever out and have a look at where the shift forks are.

It can be also caused by the ball on the end of shift lever becoming too worn. I've welded them up a bit and filed them to shape before.

Let us know what you find!

clintonnut

MMM my 99th post. You can buy new shift balls from your local parts store. I think they're standard 1/4" ball bearings

Charlie

Coadster32

If my 4speed is stuck in reverse on my 551, will this help unstick it also? :thumbs:

wallfish

Update:

It was the forks that were misaligned. The problem was the set screw had broken off with the lock nut and backed out a little. Luckily a broken tranny that was laying around had the replacement. The pain in the a$$ was getting the old one out since it broke off flush with the housing.

clintonnut

Thats good you got it fixed.

Charlie