TimD

Brake adjustment

TimD

Hey everyone,new to the forum. So glad there’s a wheel horse page!  Last year I acquired an 310-8,love it. The only problem is that I can’t brake. I looked through the manual and found out how to adjust the brake to the point where the tires skid when you push the tractor by hand like it says but I still don’t have any brakes when I drive it. Been using the clutch to stop.  The lining looks ok,not too sure how thick it should be but I also noticed when I adjusted the brake,the E-brake handle doesn’t sit in the notches it should to stay engaged,I really need to force it to stay locked. Really don’t wanna spend the $8” for a new liner but maybe I should?  Any thoughts? Thanks!  

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Is the brake drum turning with the wheels?  Jack up a wheel, turn it and watch the drum and shaft to see what happens.  Possibly the key in the drum is sheared or there is internal transmission damage.

rlrnot

It sounds that you are trying to stop by only using the brake pedal. That is not how it is designed to work.  You must also engage the clutch pedal to stop the tractor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:         Push down on the clutch and brake at the same time!

• Like 3

clueless
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:         Push down on the clutch and brake at the same time!

Just like a car with a clutch peddle, you gott'a push both peddles in. If that don't work, do what Lynnmor says.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1