Horse Play

RJ58 Hard to Roll In Neutral

Horse Play

I just took off the left cover - the pinion gears are installed alternating.  

stevasaurus

Is that alternating all the way around???  Going around in a circle, the pinions should be up-down-up-down...if they are, one axle "will" turn the other way when you turn the other axle.  They need to alternate all the way around.

Also, do me a favor.  Check out those pinions and make sure you have 4 pinions with the same number of teeth.  I think you said yours had 12...make sure they all have the 12 then.  :)

Horse Play

Yup, all the pinion gears are alternating.  All the pinions are 12-tooth - I checked when I put the differential back together.  

• Like 1

953 nut

I am a little late to this party and didn't see any mention of honing the axle bushings. Will the axles turn freely prior to tightening the side covers?

stevasaurus

I agree with Richard....we need to know that you can take out the differential and turn one of the axles and the other one turns in the opposite direction.  If this does not happen, then we need to figure out what you have going on inside the differential.  How about some pictures.??  You do not have to take out the differential to check this out...but it is "imperative"  that one axle turns one way and the other turns the other.  Your pinions are "not " correct if you do not have that. :)

• Like 1

Horse Play

I did install new bronze axle bushings and I did hone them.  The axles pass through the bushings during assembly just fine - I am not having to force or hammer anything together.  I took the differential apart to do the new bronze differential bushing and put it back together.  The differential works great outside of the transmission - smooth and the axles turn opposite of each other. 

• Like 1

953 nut

As you tighten the bolts for the side plates you need to check the axles for free rotation. If an axle tube is slightly out of alignment it may begin to bind as more force is exerted on it.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OK...so your differential is good to go.  Richard is correct...these welded axle housings are not always perfectly welded.  If the trans start to bind up as you tighten the bolts on the plates (especially around the differential) you need to hone those bearings some more.  It may take a few times to get it to work correctly.  If it is binding up toward the front of the trans, you have a bearing that is not seated quite right...may be a bit high, may not be square to the side plate.  :)

• Like 1

953 nut

If you find that there is some binding I would suggest using a straight edge across the transmission and a pair of inside calipers to check the distance from the tube at the ends and where they are welded to the plates. Do the same thing from the top and from the rear of the housing. Be sure the straight edge is parallel to the cast center section of the transmission so that any difference in the plates won't throw it off.

Edited by 953 nut

stevasaurus

Pick up a straight piece of 1" OD tubing or steel rod...insert through the bushings and place the side plates on.  As you bolt them up, see if you get resistance...you may even feel where it is at.  This is where you need to hone.  Just remember that a differential can be a little forgiving on not being straight.  :)

• Like 1

Horse Play

I want to thank you all very much for all the help you guys have given me.  I am going to walk away from this transmission project for a little while - I need a break.  Maybe I will come back to it during cold weather.   

• Thanks 1

953 nut

When you do get back to this project please continue this thread so we have some history to work from.     :thanks:

• Like 1