C&W

Rj 58

C&W

There might already be a thread on this,and if there is please link it to me.What I was wondering has anybody put the kohler 4Hp with starter generator on there Rj .I have one that is missing a lot of parts, and have the 4hp starter gen already.only thing I'm seeing that might be a problem is the breather might cause a problem when scooting the engine forward a bit.I havnt had time take the engine off yet,which is a Clinton on this one and pretty sure it came that way ? My data plate is missing on tractor so kinda figured it be a good one to play around with thanks Eric 

Edited by C&W

stevebo

Just installed this on my boys suburban

IMG_4728.jpg

• Excellent 1

stevebo

IMG_4756.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

formariz

Not sure if you can see photos from post due to photo bucket block so here they are.

IMG_5252.jpg.f8c33b9aa04ff1de1dc68bf7d4238cf7.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg.f562f354ff077aa8329693c504b36094.jpg

IMG_5255.jpg.d09a7f737343c5e376952408bb94a2da.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg.99ba4b1e7c73bce83b3e88916dda876e.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg.23d6319c02c976c3bcd5a24d4879ed37.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg.6a9ecd8056ffeb6ca7c7388e12f71bf8.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg.2fb6341b7e372f17b0117f1c59fdfb68.jpg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 6

C&W

Nice I bet he is going to like it ,was the bending of the shift lever a have to ,or did you do it to use the same engine bolt holes 

C&W

Caint get no pics fromariz I might need to upgrade something but from what I read sounds nice hold on I see then now good job like it 

Edited by C&W

formariz
Just now, C&W said:

Caint get no pics fromariz I might need to upgrade something but from what I read sounds nice 

You should see photos now

• Like 1

C&W

Yeah looks good both of tractors I'm going to do it to when I get time lol I was going sell my kohler at swap coming up in Portland but picked upped the Rj over the weekend so now I got s use for it ,its a real nice running 4hp no smoke and will idle real low 

Lane Ranger

C&W  :   Check the  date stamped on your RJ  transmssion  it is a code and should have the date the transmssion was made which is as close as you can get on date your tractor came to be.

The letter is the month of production so J = October, 12 = the 12th of the month and 8 = 1958, October 12, 1958

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

stevebo
6 hours ago, C&W said:

Nice I bet he is going to like it ,was the bending of the shift lever a have to ,or did you do it to use the same engine bolt holes 

Need to heat and bend shifter for sure. If you start using other holes then you have to cut hood which is never a good thing....

• Like 1

formariz
3 hours ago, stevebo said:

Need to heat and bend shifter for sure. If you start using other holes then you have to cut hood which is never a good thing....

The K91 will fit under hood without cutting it. I moved mine forward enough to not to have to bend shifter and to keep all engine components on engine. Did have to drill new holes in the frame.In addition to eliminate the air cleaner hitting frame I went with a filter from Lauson or a Clinton mounted on an elbow from an updraft oil bath.It is also easier to service filter this way rather than the stock Kohler filter in the normal position. Probably the hardest thing to do was to find the right length belt. Not done yet but there is also a belt cover in the works.

C&W
9 hours ago, formariz said:

The K91 will fit under hood without cutting it. I moved mine forward enough to not to have to bend shifter and to keep all engine components on engine. Did have to drill new holes in the frame.In addition to eliminate the air cleaner hitting frame I went with a filter from Lauson or a Clinton mounted on an elbow from an updraft oil bath.It is also easier to service filter this way rather than the stock Kohler filter in the normal position. Probably the hardest thing to do was to find the right length belt. Not done yet but there is also a belt cover in the works.

Yeah I took a look at mine today and looked like would fit up there fairly easy ,I got a lot of old belts from a mower shop went out of business long time ago I bet I might have one that will work I was thinking the air filter might have to be re worked