Sign in to follow this  
dodge78

Questions about the new toy

dodge78

I find an ad on craigslist for a WheelHorse with loader for $1000 on a Thursday night. I emailed him for more info and awaited a reply. Friday morning I find the ad "deleted by original poster" and figure someone closer than I am had bought it. Friday afternoon I get an email saying its still available. After work I call him to see whats what. I had some things that had to be done Saturday morning and told him I would call him when I was done to check if it was still available, and it was.

I had loaded up the truck and gave it the once over Friday night to keep me busy. So I head out for the 4 + hour drive to get there. So I get there and we chit chat about old trucks for a while. Then we head back to the trees (had me worried) to come up to the tractor with the loader frame, no arms or bucket (more concern). He tells me the rod is wrapped round the crank and its been sitting for about a year. Then he tells me the arms are bout 20 yards to the west (starting to feel better), and the bucket is 20 feet south. Of corse it was frozen to the ground so I took a spud bar the dig them out while he was trying to get the bobcat started. The arms and the bucket came up fairly easy. With the tractor, we put a chain around the upper frame of the loader and pulled up a little then spudded around the wheels until it came out.

It has the ballast box, 75 lb wheel weights ( per side), 3 manuals that look like photo copys with one being for the bucket and two for the tractor that cover maintenance and parts lists. Here it is as I arrived home.

th_HPIM0381-1.jpg

th_HPIM0382.jpg

The next day I went out and took some more pictures.

th_HPIM0393.jpg

th_HPIM0383.jpg

th_HPIM0396-1.jpg

In this picture you can see the engine is separated from the oil pan, thats the way it sat for how ever long.

th_HPIM0386.jpg

I finally got around to pulling the Kohler out only to find no rod or piston. The crank looks marred up but I think that mostly rod chunks stuck to it. There is a little rust inside but should clean up ok. I dont have pictures of that yet. The tractor is partially disassembled but does not look too hard to put back together.

th_HPIM0385.jpg

th_HPIM0387.jpg

th_HPIM0389.jpg

I took it to work last saturday and let it thaw out and gave it a quick bath and some more inspection.

The first batch of questions regard the loader. The manual pictures did not come out to well ( very dark ), I need to find out how the pump attaches to the motor? or where ever. The hoses were disconnected at the arms.

th_HPIM0397.jpg

When the time comes, what would be the best procedure to hook up the hydralics? Drain the old oil out, refill, test, rinse and repeat?

The next question is about the gas tank. There is no gas tank. Which model tractors would fit there? I know its a plastic tank with a part number of 104065.

Some other things I know I will need are a couple of bucket pins, a rectifier, one hose, some bolts, inner tubes and a rebuild for the Kohler. Here is the hose and look under the cluth pedal for a nice green roofing nail.

th_HPIM0388.jpg

th_HPIM0396.jpg

Heres a couple more pictures.

th_HPIM0384.jpg

th_HPIM0394.jpg

And a free wrench.

th_HPIM0392.jpg

Hi

Nick

It might take some work but i think you have a nice find there. :thumbs:

For the mechanical questions Im sure one of the experts will be along with some help. On the hydraulics I think you have the right idea. Drain the old oil, clean everything, refill, test run it and then drain and refill with new oil.

I tried to find a picture of the pump area but had none. I know a few members have this model so they might be able to help out. This is a couple pictures I did have.

2003show008.jpgshow049.jpg

pond195520032003

:dunno: Dodge78 :whistle: you found an excellent tractor and loader :thumbs: great deal :whistle:

Operator

Any new "catch" is great. I tried to open pictures and it pops up saying you exceded band width, couldn't see anything. Also :thumbs:

Randy

Duff

I got the same message Randy did when I tried opening the pictures. A possible solution according to the error message is, "reduce the number or size of files you're sharing online".

Any way you can move the photos to Photobucket? :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

I did not have enough years left to live to wait

for the pics to open....whew.....lol :thumbs:

dodge78

I will do some picture things later after work. I like the bigger pictures to show all of the details.

Teddy da Bear

I do not think picture size is as much a factor as file size.

Your camera resolution is higher than typically used.

You can make a big picture and still have a clear picture

with a lower resolution like 3.9MP

I for one like a bigger picture too.. :thumbs:

Nick

Another option thats available on sites like www.photobucket.com would be clickable thumbnail pictures. The small thumbnails are fast to download at dialup speeds and then clicking on the image brings up the large version.

Hope to see some repair/assembly pictures. :thumbs:

dodge78

Should be fixed now.

Operator

Yup it works. That looks like a decent catch, a little work but I would say worth the money. I myself would redo the weight box, unless it wasn't attached to tractor in pics. Hangs too far back. :thumbs:

Randy

C-Series14

Pump mounts in front of the engine PTO. I have the same loader. Could take pics of the pump 2morrow. Yours looks better than mine, it was found on the roof of a building. A roofing company used it to spread gravel and then left it up there! Mine is the second one that Nick posted...

wallfish

here's a pic of the pump (right side), let me know if you need better pics of the brackets or anything. I have a copy of a manual that could be scanned and emailed if you need it

2separatepumps-1.jpg