Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

A Horse Ride in the snow

MaineDad

As you may know, Maine really got slammed with heavy wet snow last Sunday night into Monday morning. 18 to 24 inches of new snow blanketed the State with winds up to 40 mph. At the peak of the storm nearly 130,000 homes were without power. We just got our power restored late this afternoon.

This storm started out as heavy rain, then it turned to sleet and eventually all snow. The weather experts stated that if this had been an all-snow event we may have added another foot onto the nearly two feet we had dumped on us!

For those of you who want to know if a single stage snow thrower can handle the heavy wet type of snow, the picture below is worth a thousands words...

Snow2-3-09.jpg

TJ

Great picture. Now that I know what mine can do, I hope I don't have to use it.

I'm tired of winter!

Sparky

WOW! Thats a great shot Micah. I've got the same blower but have never had more than 10" or so to clear. I never really saw a need for the metal extention that sticks off the front and top of the blower......till now :thumbs: .

Mike.....

MaineDad

I may need to add some drift cutters if this type of winter continues :thumbs:

Rollerman

Thats getting deep...I had my Lawn Ranger out Monday chucking are 3" to 4" buildup. :whistle:

Micah what gear do you run for the deep stuff?

Hope winter breaks soon so we can see more of your gardening shots. :thumbs:

nylyon

Nice pictures, I have yet to use the blower on anything significant! Glad to hear your power's back.

iicap

Hey Micah, great pic as has been said. We were in ME. for 6days for a bit of a family winterfest, tubing in Oxford, (I think) and snowmobiling in West Paris / Woodstock areas. Also down in Durham. Left last Thurs after that smaller snowfall to come home to CT. Just learned tonite of the outages, daughter got hers on this afternoon in Durham. Thought of you a couple times with that tall chute blower and wondered where your at. I'll have to see where N G is and sneak over some summer nite an steal a cabbage out of your garden :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Great Pic Micah! :whistle: I can see I need to get something to use at the "DUKE O MINIUM" my Toro needs a new drive disc, and Im thinking by next winter I need to get a Daily Driver so to speak! Im getting sick of this snow chit :thumbs: and the cold weather also! But plan on maybe getting out of here a few months durring winter when I retire in 6 years. Its getting to exspensive to heat the stable garage and house durring the winter! Of course I have been out there every day in the evenings and all day on the weekends! :whistle:

KyBlue

Great shot indeed!!

And I too look forward to your gardening pics...

MaineDad

Richard,

I am about 10 minutes south of the Oxford Tubing Park just off Route 26 near the Shaker Village you drove through, near Sabbath Day Lake.

I'll give you a head of cabbage if you stop by and say hi :thumbs:

Docwheelhorse

Nice Pic!!! :thumbs: How much HP (what engine too?) Hydro or 8 Speed and what gear??

Tony

MaineDad

1996 314-8 in Low 1 - Kohler 14 Magnum

Docwheelhorse

Thanks!!! Very impressive, I have a C141 with a decent single stage short shoot and although I won't be able to throw it as far as yours :thumbs: --This makes me a bit more confident that it will handle even the tough stuff.

Tony

stevasaurus

nice pic...I miss those Maine snows...I was stationed in Winterharbor in the early 70's. :whistle: Had a 1972 super beetle...couldn't get that thing stuck. :thumbs:

iicap

Hey Micah, just read your reply and told my wife, she knows the Shaker Village and Sabbath Day Lake, (She raised her family in ME, Freeport for about 30 yrs)

we'll check with you next time up there and say hello :thumbs: thanks

MaineDad

Richard,

We would love fo you to stop by and say hi anytime.