Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Engine RPM versus Attachment RPM.....???

Docwheelhorse

Hello all,

I am playing with my 10KW generator :horseplay: and wanted to slow the engine down a bit as the pulley that was on the generator was causing me to have to run the engine around 3300--3400+ to hit 3600+ on the genset. Here are my calculations and I wanted opinions on which way to go.... I know the motors are rated to run at 3600 but most of the Kohlers I have or have used are set at 3200 (or a bit less..) and I end up having to play with the governor and throttle controls to get more out of them. The K's and Magnums don't sound like they are having much fun when you wind them up to 3600 or a bit more----then you leave the poor thing screaming away for hours at a clip attached to a genset and you are just burning it up in my opinion.

PTO Outside Groove= 4.5" coupled to a 3.55" pulley on the genset equals 2850 engine RPM's and 3600 Genset RPM's ....

Use a 3.75" genset pulley and the engine RPM goes to 3000

Use a 4" genset pulley and the engine RPM goes to 3200

(I was using a 4.5" pulley on the INSIDE PTO GROOVE=5") That made the engine spin at 3400 to make 3650 at the genset. I am moving to the outside PTO groove so that the belt clears the hood better---it is within a hairs length now.

Thoughts, Concerns and Criticisms welcome.... :banana:

Tony

Docwheelhorse

Nice to see you too Duane, that link is what I have been using all day to figure out what my pulley speeds where/are... :thumbs:

Tony

Sparky

I guess what needs to be known is whats the lowest RPM you can run your Magnum 14 (possibly for hours) and still provide proper lubrication for your splash lubed motor.

Mike.........

Nick

If I remember right our 10K manual recommends the minimum of 16hp with 20hp recommended for full rated output. It might not be a good idea to lower the rpm to much.

I need to get started on the same project when the weather warms up and before the spring storms knock out the power again. I'll be using a 25hp Kohler OHV with the 10K generator. In the past the generator was mounted on a Steiner with 20hp Onan that was screaming at 3,600 rpm, burning 1.5 or more gallons an hour and making enough noise that the neighbors might get tired of it. The Kohler OHV should do better on fuel but I still want to lower the RPM a little. Id like to find a quiet exhaust for it if possible. might help to keep the neighbors happy. :thumbs:

Vid of Gen. running last power outage

scifi4all

I have to agree with all previous statements ie...... maintaining proper engine lubrication is the most important factor, the link to the conversion website makes it very simplified.

But if you want to just do the math in the garage without changing each sheave and reading the RPM, then use this formula.

img112.jpg

The driver would be the Engine and the driven is the generator or any attachment requiring a fixed RPM.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Rolls,

Pa.