Sign in to follow this  
Country Cadillac

Hydrostatic pump shaft replacement

Country Cadillac

Hello folks....I'm going to be replacing the main shaft in my D-160 's hydro pump and I do have the assembly drawing, but I've always found that it's nice to talk to someone who's been there and done that, it has always saved me a lot of problems in past projects. I didn't find a thread that covered that topic, course I could of missed it :thumbs: So if anyone has replaced one of these shafts and knows of anything to be careful of etc. I'd appreciate hearing about it........... :whistle: Ray

Duff

Ray - drop a PM to our member Rideawaysenior. He's pretty well versed in these critters and a great guy to chat with!

Duff :thumbs:

Country Cadillac

hey Duff ... I woud ,but I don't know how to do that :thumbs::whistle: Ray

Duff

At the top of this page, click on the word "Members". This will take you to the membership list page. At the bottom of that page in the search box, select "name contains" from the drop down list. Then type "rideawaysenior" in the blank box and click on "go". When his name comes up, click on his name which will take you to his profile page. On the right side you'll see a way to email him.

Hope this helps!

Duff :thumbs:

Country Cadillac

Thank you Duff..........Ray

Country Cadillac

Hey Duff...sent that pm to ridgeawaysenior a few days back now and it said it went out to him , but maybe he's out of town right now. :thumbs: So if there might be someone out there that has dealt with these pumps I could surely use a little insite on the shaft removal and install before I go and mess something up. :whistle: Ray :whistle:

Duff

Ray, his work takes him away from email for a few days at time, but I'm sure he'll get back to you when he's reconnected to his computer. :thumbs:

Duff :whistle:

Country Cadillac

Thanks Duff...I figured it was something like that...... :thumbs: Ray

wh500special

You really should get the Automatic Transmission Repair Manual for the Sundstrand unit.

It's been a while since I was inside one of these things but I don't recall there being any tricks on the pump shaft.

I think it is a simple remove/re-install job. You MUST make sure all the pistons go back in the proper holes of the cylinder block if you remove them. Since you're in there too you might want to touch up the valve plate with a little 2000 grit emory/crocus placed on a dead flat piece of granite, steel, or glass.

The motor shaft has to be pressed to get the little spring clip to pop out but I think the pump just comes apart.

Steve

Buzz

Ray, in case you don't have the Sunstrand manual, here's how to get one.

Go to Toro's manual site: https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Put in 1-0651 for model number and "none" for serial number. You can then download the 66 page Sunstrand manual. Good luck

Country Cadillac

:thumbs: Guys.....Buzz I did download the manual and that should be a big help. It doesn't sound like it should be that tough a job, now if it would only stop snowin' long enough to change it out. This stuff gets old , the older I get and then there are some members who have started planting some of their gardens :whistle:

And Steve... some good tips...thanks. Oh ya, been fishin' lately? They have been hammering the Northerns thru the ice the past couple of weeks, some great eating, no Walleye yet, a little early.

It's really great to have all this knowledge at out finger tips from some good people.....Thanks again......Ray

73-18 automatic

Ray Doug here waswondering where were you able to find a shaft for these tractors I would like to find one for my D-180 and my 18 automatic thanks for any help Doug

Country Cadillac

Hey Doug....Yes I found the shaft and coupler and pump gasket from a very knowledgeable fellow out in Ohio. I don't know if it's ok to give out his info in this forum ...so I'll just send you a pm.............Ray

wh500special

Oh ya, been fishin' lately? They have been hammering the Northerns thru the ice the past couple of weeks, some great eating, no Walleye yet, a little early.

:thumbs:

Nope. Kids, work, and the wife seem to be keeping me off the water. And we are in that phase where there is a little ice on the lakes that is too thick to bust and too thin to walk on...I hate this time of year!

Crappies should be turning on soon and I am hoping to make some time to get down to Shelbyville.

Steve

Country Cadillac

Hey..sorry if I crossed the line on topics :thumbs: but I see folks making comments on all kinds of different things that don't stick to the exact topic and didn't know that it was taboo...I will certainly try to refrain from things that people have in common, even tho it's specifically not about Wheel Horses..My apologies....just wondered how the fishn' was out your way :whistle: Ray

wh500special

Whoops, I meant that off topic sign as in I was taking this off topic further...My bad!