Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

OutdoorEnvy
Posted (edited)

Improved my 2" hitch receiver!  I updated my original project thread but here is the short version.  Cut up a 2" tow ball to use the shaft to weld on the bottom and rest on the original tractor tow bar for down pressure support.  Then welded the ball to the top of the receiver.  This will be better for my pulling and dragging needs.  A large D shackle fits in the opening for straps or chains. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by OutdoorEnvy
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 3

D_Mac
12 minutes ago, ML3 said:

Not 100% happy w/seat but I'll improve or replace it. 

Looks great,  I agree about the seat. Dosnt match the patina of the rest of the tractor. :auto-dirtbike:

• Like 1

ML3
10 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Looks great,  I agree about the seat. Dosnt match the patina of the rest of the tractor. :auto-dirtbike:

I actually want to do almond white seat with maybe some studs & fringe??? Or go with a black seat. Problem is there's only about 14" between the fenders so any standard seat won't fit between 

D_Mac
5 minutes ago, ML3 said:

I actually want to do almond white seat with maybe some studs & fringe??? Or go with a black seat. Problem is there's only about 14" between the fenders so any standard seat won't fit between 

Maybe just recover it in black and add the studs to what's there.

D_Mac
12 minutes ago, ML3 said:

Harbor Freight  sells a stool with like a motorcycle seat . Bet that look cool on it.

63756_W3.jpg

• Heart 2

ML3
49 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Harbor Freight  sells a stool with like a motorcycle seat . Bet that look cool on it.

63756_W3.jpg

It's too wide. I already measured it. I saw it at Harbor Freight. 

• Haha 1

ML3

I'll probably see if local upholstery shop in town will be willing to make a seat

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse

When you get it finished you’ll have to post some videos.:auto-dirtbike:

• Like 2

c-series don

Is that a 418-A on the end? 

WHGuy413
On 3/29/2024 at 8:15 AM, TonyToro said:

I heard puller! Will you pull transfer sled or stone boat? If you have questions …. Ask away. 

Stone boat at the moment. 

• Like 2

Bill D
Posted (edited)

Oil change and lube on my latest rescue, a 416H.  Picked this one up last spring.  Tractor only has 198 hours on it, but sat outside under a tarp for years after it lost spark and the original owner tried fixing it himself, without success.  Amazed it actually runs as good as it does.  Air cleaner and plugs were out of it for years.  Should have been locked up tight.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 4

Ex wh1257
6 hours ago, c-series don said:

Is that a 418-A on the end? 

418 c

112D4650-BBC4-4FF3-857C-2B3CE37E6D3A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Ex wh1257
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

@Ex wh1257 I have a 418-C and 418-8. I kinda want a 418-A to complete the 418 series, but with around 18 Wheel Horses I’m seriously running out of storage space. The C (commercial) model is a bit rare, I’m super happy that I was able to find one and would love to know how many were made? 

IMG_8137.jpeg

IMG_8140.jpeg

yes, this is also the first one I found, 418 c. Furthermore, I don't know if they were sold much. They were equipped with heavy front wheels and armrests and an adjustable seat. In my 418, the seat still needs to be reupholstered and the armrests still need to be made. become

• Like 2

c-series don

One thing I like about the C is that it doesn’t have all the unnecessary electronics. 

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, c-series don said:

One thing I like about the C is that it doesn’t have all the unnecessary electronics. 

That's a huge part of our liking for the older stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

GAJoe
On 1/27/2024 at 8:50 AM, GAJoe said:

Guess I'll be getting a new battery.

As always, good advise here, Thanks you Guys

Joe

Well, not today but last week... I picked up the new battery and she fired off in less than two seconds of turning over. I did find the rough looking battery terminal on the hot lead was starting to crack so I replaced that lead to prevent headaches this summer. I greased the mower spindles and wiped the old grease off and put a new film on the PTO bearings (the high temp green stuff). I jacked the front up and greased the pivots with red and tacky. I gave the front yard a first season cutting. Pulled the mower deck out and gave the bottom side a good cleaning with the wire wheel and treated a couple areas for surface rust. It just blows me away how easy it is to drop the mowing deck and put it back on with a fifty year old machine.

Thanks again with the help guys!

Oh and just wanted to let anyone that doesn't know that NAPA store prices are considerably lower than their website prices, I found out. I wanted a drop in swap for the battery without changing my terminals from the round posts but the same battery was $195 on their website. I called the store to double check the stock and price and they quoted $145. That's a high price to pay but I decided that I'd take the advise that the more CCA's the longer it will last. The battery that I bought her with and the exact replacement fits like a glove and has 540 CCA's. When I picked it up they knocked a little more off. I got out the door paying $136 for it. And the $13.49 website priced battery lead was $9. I'm used to the store price being higher than the website for most stores.

• Like 3

mrc

hi ML3,

first off you have seniority in the neighborhood.

secondly, it is your driveway so do as you wish in it.  

regards

mike

• Heart 1

Andy N.

Got them ready for spring. Going with the 48" deck that I finished restoring this winter on the 520-H. Amazing how quiet these decks are when it has all new bearings. 

87C6780E-EB67-4FBD-8F66-2887CEE235FF.JPG.8616c905796ee6836c3123656a9f2bed.JPG

F4C36DD5-6516-4202-9B34-2EC9824B63F3.poster.JPG.1cf70dd9a5e8970e164d89d9f4238699.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

kpinnc
7 minutes ago, Andy N. said:

Amazing how quiet these decks are when it has all new bearings. 

And how loud they are when needing new bearings! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ML3
18 hours ago, mrc said:

hi ML3,

first off you have seniority in the neighborhood.

secondly, it is your driveway so do as you wish in it.  

regards

mike

Funny! My neighbors actually don't care. Have an older lady who lives on the right. Her dog constantly barks & never shuts up. It's a trade off...... Left of me is a single mom & her 8yr old son is always interested in what I'm doing in garage. 

• Like 1