Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Switched her to Studs and Lugs a couple years ago . 

That might be the best modification you could do to any :wh::wh::wh:

Every one of ours has them. Every one we ever build will.

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Change over is almost as fast as a NASCAR pit stop.

:text-yeahthat:               Three studs is much faster than five,    :woohoo:     now what are you doing the rest of the day?      :ychain:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
On 3/5/2019 at 9:27 PM, MarkS said:

Got some new tires mounted that I will end up putting on a Lawn Ranger project I'm working on

20190303_131439.jpg

20190303_131440.jpg

20190303_141153.jpg

Hey @MarkS what size are those, and the width of the wheels by chance?  They look good!

rjg854

It would seem by the upcoming forecast, winter is almost over.  So I took the chains off the rear wheels of the plow tractor.  Then dismounted the snow plow and mounted the grader blade.  Changed the front tires by taking them off because they have weights and roller chains on them and swapping for turf tires.  Played in the driveway for awhile grading the humps down into the ruts, and fill some of the winter pot holes.

• Like 2

953 nut
19 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I took the chains off the rear wheels of the plow tractor.  Then dismounted the snow plow

So if it snows in central NY you know it was Randy's fault!     :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

TonyToro
16 hours ago, 953 nut said:

So if it snows in central NY you know it was Randy's fault!     :ychain:

I was going to say the same thing. ❄️ 😡 We had snow last year first part of April. I am leaving all my snow stuff ready to appease the snow God’s. Lol

• Thanks 1

rjg854

The nice thing about this time of year, even if we were to get another snow storm, the sun is becoming so strong, any snow won't last long at all. :eusa-whistle:

Believe the rodent! :ychain:

• Haha 2

AMC RULES

Sometimes you own the monkey...

other times, the monkey owns you.

• Confused 1

Lane Ranger

I had my  1961 Wheel Horse 701  out yesterday and checked out the vitals to get ready for the coming garden planting season.  

The 701 still looks good and functions pretty good !

148.JPG

154.JPG

155.JPG

156.JPG

149.JPG

150.JPG

147.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

Cetan08

Went out and worked on the 416-8 yesterday. It's the one that I put the BF MS Onan in. Got everything hooked up except the coil and charging wires along with the exhaust. The exhaust is a little tricky as it does not have the threaded holes for flanges but rather threaded holes in the block. I was able to use black iron pipe to screw into the block so now I need to put a couple of 90s on and decide on what muffler that I want to use.

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

Did some work on my 314-8 tiller tractor and one of my RJ’s this am.  Ran the RJ and drove around to make sure ready for show season.  Added some gear oil to the tiller gearcase.  

3BB0DD1B-E476-44FD-990B-31BCABE6C14F.jpeg

73973AC3-C9B5-455E-AA4B-BE054BCEE4B9.jpeg

5E75BE35-6A3D-49A2-A28D-01E4D66196BC.jpeg

BA9A886B-17A6-4DBB-9EA8-3280C3F611C1.jpeg

A810F8F7-07EF-47B6-8992-3F16F4A6C6BB.jpeg

5BD62404-D09F-4A5D-A1AB-4FE069440918.jpeg

C4680523-152F-4FE7-82F1-133684FA8C85.jpeg

A3FF5E11-C909-4548-B013-CCDD5CFC33B1.jpeg

AE278D18-D8F8-4D30-9FA3-8D0B82E4F1EE.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

pfrederi

Running down hydro leaks on my primary snow horse.  New hose and new control vlave seals form Wheelhorseman.  Now to the pump. Motion control leaking.  One axle seal was seeping hardly enouogh to bother with but as long as she is off snow duty. Decided to pull the hubs...Absolutely one of my favorite passtimes...NOT!!!  Do not believe the hubs have been disturbed since 1969...

IMG_0392.JPG

• Like 8

pfrederi

So waiting for the magic juice to work set up another puller on the other hub..sliding off easily...go figure

IMG_0393.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

BPEisenhower

Finally got the Auto 18 home. Have to track down no charge issue but don't seem too complicated...yet. I got an oil filter adapter to install and probably hunt for a tin with a hole instead of cutting one. Is it possible to add an oil pressure gauge someplace? If so, electric or not? And, can steering brakes be added at some point? Might have to get a new transmission temp gauge since it goes to 250 when ignition is off but zeros out when on but never reads a temp after running. Came with 3 point, new rear end, extra rear and internals, 4 hydro pumps, front axle, rims, fenders, 2 gas tanks, hubs, blah blah blah. The 4 ft tiller is no joke. After carrying it twice, I need to get 3 point re-attached and be done. Any advice on this beast is welcome! I have been reading a lot thanks to the free files but, we all know reality and print are different ends of the same snake! Thank you so much Horse Fans! 

IMG_20190316_112627.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

pfrederi
3 hours ago, BPEisenhower said:

Finally got the Auto 18 home. Have to track down no charge issue but don't seem too complicated...yet. I got an oil filter adapter to install and probably hunt for a tin with a hole instead of cutting one. Is it possible to add an oil pressure gauge someplace? If so, electric or not? And, can steering brakes be added at some point? Might have to get a new transmission temp gauge since it goes to 250 when ignition is off but zeros out when on but never reads a temp after running. Came with 3 point, new rear end, extra rear and internals, 4 hydro pumps, front axle, rims, fenders, 2 gas tanks, hubs, blah blah blah. The 4 ft tiller is no joke. After carrying it twice, I need to get 3 point re-attached and be done. Any advice on this beast is welcome! I have been reading a lot thanks to the free files but, we all know reality and print are different ends of the same snake! Thank you so much Horse Fans! 

IMG_20190316_112627.jpg

I run a mechanical oil pressure gauge off the port just above the oil filler tube. Will get you a pic tomorrow.  I have the steering brakes on my d200 not really impressed.  I would save my money for something else.  Temp use an electric Sunpro.  (mechanical sending units are too long to fit into the pump)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Stewart Warner makes an electric gauge and short enough sending unit to fit into the pump port on that Sundstrand - I had the same problem with my '74 D-180/K482 Kohler equipped model. There are various 1/8"-27NPT ports in the engine that are live oil gallies - you can Google your engine and find the oil pump galley map. Just look for the small plugs with a recessed Allen socket hole. I need to add the oil gauge to mine this summer as well as ditch the semi-working ammeter. I'm also planning to add an oil filter, but want to use the stock adapter head along with a remote to put the filter in a better place if possible - not much room due to how the whole tractor is built. 

Sarge

• Like 1

Sarge

Oh - I forgot your other issue of charging. Most likely, the voltage regulator/rectifier has lost the case ground - very common on any version that is bolted to the frame. Without the case ground, the unit cannot read the battery voltage. It isn't any fun to get to the thing due to where its located - best way is from under the tractor. Lately, I've just been soldering a wire directly to the regulator case and tie that into a ground circuit for all the lamps/engine/battery grounding point in a central location - stops a lot of potential problems. Don't forget all the gauges/lamps in that dash panel - they all require case grounds to work correctly and may be the reason your temperature gauge doesn't work right. If the gauge can't make a circuit through the pump sending unit to ground - no worky.

Sarge

• Excellent 2

pfrederi
19 hours ago, BPEisenhower said:

IMG_20190316_112627.jpg

Oil pressure port

IMG_0395.JPG

• Excellent 1

BPEisenhower
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Oh - I forgot your other issue of charging. Most likely, the voltage regulator/rectifier has lost the case ground - very common on any version that is bolted to the frame. Without the case ground, the unit cannot read the battery voltage. It isn't any fun to get to the thing due to where its located - best way is from under the tractor. Lately, I've just been soldering a wire directly to the regulator case and tie that into a ground circuit for all the lamps/engine/battery grounding point in a central location - stops a lot of potential problems. Don't forget all the gauges/lamps in that dash panel - they all require case grounds to work correctly and may be the reason your temperature gauge doesn't work right. If the gauge can't make a circuit through the pump sending unit to ground - no worky.

Sarge

Thank you so much for the info! I'm hoping to check out everything you mentioned and keep you updated as I died electric issues. Thinking positive thoughts 😃

BPEisenhower
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Oil pressure port

IMG_0395.JPG

I appreciate the photo very much. Thank you for your time and hopefully I can return the favor someday. Much easier than I had anticipated 😊

• Like 1

ericj
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Oil pressure port

what pressure doe it run with a live gauge ?

eric j

Sarge

Last time I checked my K482 - 50psi at full throttle, around 25psi at idle. Pretty happy with that, well within original specifications.

Sarge

• Like 3

pfrederi

I HATE HUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48 hours of soaking (3 different magic juices). Used the air chisel with a flat tip  (worked well on two exhaust nipples) Propane torch, ran the battery down on my dewalt had to get out the old IR231 finally started to move.IMG_0401.JPG.ef53f6ead3e07ce6b983e311ac6a48c9.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

squonk
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I HATE HUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48 hours of soaking (3 different magic juices). Used the air chisel with a flat tip  (worked well on two exhaust nipples) Propane torch, ran the battery down on my dewalt had to get out the old IR231 finally started to move.IMG_0401.JPG.ef53f6ead3e07ce6b983e311ac6a48c9.JPG

Maybe use a Mapp/Pro tank next time. Little more heat. You can see the rust on that axle pretty good. Good old trusty IR231 . PO put the wrong filter on but at least it was a Wix!