Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, BeninCT said:

Been using these Metal Demon saw blades by Diablo and they are amazing on a standard circular saw.  Not as much fun as plastique tho :(

Haven't tried a regular circular saw for metal. 

I have a circular blades metal chopsaw. Also a DeWalt portable band saw on a SWAG table.  

I far prefer the DeWalt for most things metal.  

Of course not everything fits in it. ...

BeninCT
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a circular blades metal chopsaw. Also a DeWalt portable band saw on a SWAG table.  

I far prefer the DeWalt for most things metal.  

Of course not everything fits in it. ...

These Metal Demon blades are incredible.  Standard circular saw cuts steel angles at maybe 3/4 the speed it would cut wood of the same size with almost no heat and minimal sparks.  WAY better than abrasives because no black dust.  I have cut full depth in some thick stuff with the 7 1/4 blade and if you don’t push hard it just cuts.  Heavy pressure/heat are the killers but I think one of these blades will last a year under typical hobby use cutting materials less than 1/4” thick.  

If you buy one- read the blade.  There is one for thin metal, one for stainless and one for thick metal- get the thick metal one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Handy Don

I've added a Metal Demon blade to my wish list :).

A Milwaukee M12 Fuel hand-held bandsaw landed in my tool chest as a nice Christmas present. I've already had a couple opportunities to use it and I am amazed at the ease of use and quality of the cut. I used it last to shorten a couple of ⅜" bolts and it went through quickly and smoothly with very little heat. I think my hacksaw will not be coming out very often in future!

Note: there are two models--the brushless "Fuel" model has a bigger throat (2.5 x 2.5), is lighter, more powerful, and easy to operate with one hand. Worth the extra cost, IMHO.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

EB-80/8inPA
On 1/13/2022 at 7:34 PM, ebinmaine said:

My brother uses old blades installed backwards in the circular saw to cut sheet metal. Works well enough and you can’t beat the price.  Oh, and ear protection!

• Like 2

BeninCT

I cut the 2x4 solid with that Metal Demon blade today and the blade made 1 1/2 cuts.  Finished it with an abrasive.  Unbelievable for a metal blade and way overworked it!

Edit to add image of blade and giant steel chunk.  See some of the teeth are missing?  Don’t worry about this if you cut thin stuff. 

BA97EB96-8139-4FD5-BCAF-E214F31FABFA.jpeg

Edited by BeninCT
  • Like 5

ranger
On 1/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, ebinmaine said:

Do you have other pictures or details or any measurements or anything like that?

I'm going to need to do something like this on Colossus...

I wonder if anyone has tried something along the lines of the ‘Myford’ ML7 lathe ‘Tri-Lever’ spindle belt drive system for a ‘Hi-Lo’ transmission drive on a garden tractor? This has 3 separate belts from countershaft to spindle, with different size pulleys to give 3 different ratios simply by releasing whichever of the 3 separate levers had been depressed, and selecting another. Obviously you need a jack/countershaft, extra belts and pulleys, but I seem to recall that if all levers were depressed at the same time, (lathe stopped of course!), it locked the spindle enough to be able to unscrew the chuck. So an instant parking brake as well as 12 forward/4 reverse gears, and range change on the fly!

Edited by ranger
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, ranger said:

I wonder if anyone has tried something along the lines of the ‘Myford’ ML7 lathe ‘Tri-Lever’ spindle belt drive system for a ‘Hi-Lo’ transmission drive on a garden tractor? This has 3 separate belts from countershaft to spindle, with different size pulleys to give 3 different ratios simply by releasing whichever of the 3 separate levers had been depressed, and selecting another. Obviously you need a jack/countershaft, extra belts and pulleys, but I seem to recall that if all levers were depressed at the same time, (lathe stopped of course!), it locked the spindle enough to be able to unscrew the chuck. So an instant parking brake as well as 12 forward/4 reverse gears, and range change on the fly!

I have a simplified version of that in my floor standing drill press. 

Boy would THAT be something on a tractor!!!!

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, giddyap said:

I declared I didn't like my original custom tail lights so I tossed around some ideas and came up with mini foil. I think it looks better and it will help traction at the higher speeds these Wheel Horses are capable of. 

Pretty darn cool! :bow-blue:

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ranger
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a simplified version of that in my floor standing drill press. 

Boy would THAT be something on a tractor!!!!

I believe the lathe used 3 belts the same size with the pulleys sized to give the required speeds with tensioner rollers? on over-centering levers. Could be quite compact with a double pulley, (different sizes),on the transmission input shaft, 2 flange bearings,shaft, and double pulley, (matching other, but reversed, + suitable pulley to carry belt from engine). These attached to your spacer block?

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
50 minutes ago, giddyap said:

mini foil. I think it looks better and it will help traction at the higher speeds these Wheel Horses are capable of

Looks great!

:auto-layrubber:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, giddyap said:

think it looks better and it will help traction at the higher speeds

Lots of down force would be wonderful while plowing snow.            :ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, giddyap said:

I think it looks better and it will help traction at the higher speeds

Two fold assistance here. 

Air flow will seriously increase possible down pressure. AND all that extra weight will help you with traction.  

Seriously though... Excellent work!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
4 hours ago, giddyap said:

I declared I didn't like my original custom tail lights so I tossed around some ideas and came up with mini foil. I think it looks better and it will help traction at the higher speeds these Wheel Horses are capable of. 

Just remember to keep the tractor clean. Dirt and dust adds about 15% parasitic drag... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

lynnmor

The added traction on the rear now demands an air dam on the front.  :auto-car:

• Haha 5

Reddart
On 12/24/2021 at 7:22 PM, ebinmaine said:

McMaster Carr is a "dangerous place". 😂

Poke around on the site. I dare ya.  

The parts and supplies I've gotten from them so far have been very good.  

Another place that might be of interest to tinkerers is https://us.misumi-ec.com. If you can get past that it is Asian based (Japanese owned I think), there is a lot of be had there. Some items like rods can be ordered machined with tapped ends and precision length. The engineering folks at one of my previous companies were able to make some pretty sophisticated tools using some of their machine to order parts and were very satisfied with the quality and turnaround. 

Edited by Reddart
  • Thanks 3

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Reddart said:

Another place that might be of interest to tinkerers

Very cool. I'll check it out. Thanks.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

EB-80/8inPA
17 hours ago, giddyap said:

DSC08279.JPG

Spoiler Alert!

• Haha 7

8ntruck
10 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The added traction on the rear now demands an air dam on the front.  :auto-car:

Wouldn't the snow plow qualify as a front air dam?

• Like 1

lynnmor
39 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Wouldn't the snow plow qualify as a front air dam?

You should do wind tunnel testing to get the proper angle.

• Like 1