Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Snoopy11
8 hours ago, war eagle said:

I'm always looking new ways and excuses to use the Wheel Horse.  Made a cheap and easy garbage can hauler using a 36" water meter tool from Home Depot.  Works great taking the can to the street on pick up days or driving around the yard picking up pine cones, limbs,etc.

Sir, I tell you what... I get my Horse out and drive it just for the heck of it all the time. YES!!! I know what you mean about making up excuses for using my Horse! I do have a lot of legit reasons for using it... but... it has been resting more lately... :scared-yipes:

That garbage can hauler is ingenious! I don't have concrete driveway, so unfortunately it probably wouldn't work very well for me. BUT, that is totally awesome! :banana-dance:

Nice work!

Don

• Like 2

pfrederi
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

On my plow tractor, I run 75 lb wheel weights on  each rear with no chains, it does fine pushing a 48” plow.  On my snowblower tractor I run the same weights with rubber chains.  I like to travel rather fast plowing and chains just slow me down.  Everyone’s situation is different, hills, surface, snow type, etc.

It is true we all have different conditions..but i plow with my Chargers at wide open ..7 mph with chains

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

wide open ..7 mph

I am 7mph in 1st gear. :grin:

Don

• Like 1

cleat
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Sir, I tell you what... I get my Horse out and drive it just for the heck of it all the time. YES!!! I know what you mean about making up excuses for using my Horse! I do have a lot of legit reasons for using it... but... it has been resting more lately... :scared-yipes:

That garbage can hauler is ingenious! I don't have concrete driveway, so unfortunately it probably wouldn't work very well for me. BUT, that is totally awesome! :banana-dance:

Nice work!

Don

I have to take my garbage to the dump which is about 10 miles away.

Wheel horse would take too long.

Lots of seat time though.

:rolleyes:

• Haha 4

lynnmor
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

It is true we all have different conditions..but i plow with my Chargers at wide open ..7 mph with chains

The reason that I would need to slow down with chains is that I have wide and stiff 4 ply tires and prefer rubber chains.  That setup would shake the fillings out of your teeth at higher speeds.  This year I went back to 2 ply rounded tires on the snowblower tractor so the rubber chains won't beat up the cab and everything else.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The reason that I would need to slow down with chains is that I have wide and stiff 4 ply tires and prefer rubber chains.  That setup would shake the fillings out of your teeth at higher speeds.  This year I went back to 2 ply rounded tires on the snowblower tractor so the rubber chains won't beat up the cab and everything else.

I can definitely concur. 

When I got my AG tires a few years ago I wanted to make sure our forest terrain wouldn't immediately damage them. I went with the identical tires to our off-road forklifts at work. Carlisle (Tru Power maybe??). They're a stiff sidewall with a rim protector lip built in. I run them fluid filled and NO added air pressure. 

• Like 3

Maxwell-8
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yep, that's a toasty 60F.

All from the exhaust?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
42 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

All from the exhaust?

None from the muffler.    All the heat from the rear cylinder on the P220 Onan.

IMG_2983.JPG.848c8e41c8348ed0c823f21cc7fb9ef0.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG.3bedd1fdbe20fc02fd66cd41b0228e6b.JPG

The foot control and the heated cab.   = two free warm hands.     Right one steers and left one operates the lift.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

pfrederi
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I understand.  I have a short section of pavers and on that I use my low impact plow (rubber chains and plastic plow edge).  They are very bumpy.    The rest is gravel dirt grass.  If you can use steel chains get some like this. Smooth as can be even at full speed ( believe me those very, very old 6.00x12 are stiff as can be) and excellent grip as there is always steel between the tire and the ground. 

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

war eagle
17 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Nice work!

Don

Thanks Don.   You might be surprised, I've towed the can all around my bumpy and sloped yard while heavily loading the can with fallen pine limbs and not had a problem.  When the clevis hitch is raised, the weight of the can is shared between the hitch and the can wheels.  The water meter tool is made from some very tough 5/8" rebar and has not bent, but you could always reinforce it by tacking on a piece of channel or angle iron.

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

rjg854
15 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

That garbage can hauler is ingenious! I don't have concrete driveway, so unfortunately it probably wouldn't work very well for me. 

Maybe you can do what I didPXL_20201213_172034468.jpg.499a4d1e361157d7927e25d41c3a14cb.jpgPXL_20201213_171943666_MP.jpg.431a1e745902a80e8a37e07e7bf4f577.jpg

I've since changed things around a little bit so it doesn't stick out as far as the picture shows. This was made for an ATV which was 5 ft wide but I cut it down to the width of the tractor.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

That would be real handy for getting deer out of the woods Randy...:handgestures-thumbupright: I could see a receiver on the front for it too!

• Like 6

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Maybe you can do what I did

I want that!

I always have to get out my trailer and lift the cans into the trailer... :rolleyes:

Don

Snoopy11
17 hours ago, cleat said:

I have to take my garbage to the dump which is about 10 miles away.

Wheel horse would take too long.

Lots of seat time though.

:rolleyes:

It'd look cool to see a Wheel Horse pulling into the gas-station to fuel-up though! :D

Don

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

CB880D38-40BA-4D52-8C21-53916DBF814C.jpeg.4b23e76824f7dcbc012b3c34b2b5680d.jpeg

Got the old 310 running right again. It was having carb issues from sitting for a month or two. I’ve been too busy with life to do much with my tractors. Hopefully I can get back on schedule and maybe find a project horse this winter.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Well I know something else that won’t work… tried pvc board for blade wear bar to protect two new concrete drives. Actually plowed well and smooth, but couldn’t take the occasional direct hit from an ice chunk etc…

This is after 9 drives three separate snows - 3 on one side then flipped when end broke off… 6 on other side…

Oh well… steel it is, just with a lighter touch…

1199D77E-E177-4B91-845B-309D8BBF3E78.jpeg

D0C1BE23-6715-4E1E-B903-1F15BDDDF9BB.jpeg

5ED22922-AD42-404C-922E-F1026EC569F6.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Well I know something else that won’t work… tried pvc board for blade wear bar to protect two new concrete drives. Actually plowed well and smooth, but couldn’t take the occasional direct hit from an ice chunk etc…

This is after 9 drives three separate snows - 3 on one side then flipped when end broke off… 6 on other side…

Oh well… steel it is, just with a lighter touch…

1199D77E-E177-4B91-845B-309D8BBF3E78.jpeg

D0C1BE23-6715-4E1E-B903-1F15BDDDF9BB.jpeg

5ED22922-AD42-404C-922E-F1026EC569F6.jpeg

I've read about attaching a good fitting small diameter piece of PVC pipe. 

Also could try HDPE. 

King Starboard is one brand. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I’ve seen that pvc pipe for gravel etc… also considered HDPE… but I’m cheap and I’m gonna wear out my metal bar then see what I do then… who knows, by then maybe my drone will plow the driveway…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lee1977
On 12/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

I’ve seen that pvc pipe for gravel etc… also considered HDPE… but I’m cheap and I’m gonna wear out my metal bar then see what I do then… who knows, by then maybe my drone will plow the driveway…

Your still thinking in the past. It will be more like, Doc in Back To THe Future " Where we are going we don't need roads".

• Excellent 1

Crazy_Carl

I’ve put a lot of new parts into this C-100, today I got the last seal I needed to to put the belt on.  It’s first shakedown ride went well then I threw my plow on it.

EDC9DC16-CF16-471B-8878-4CFD6F299F58.jpeg

2D066D9C-8605-4542-8F4D-508A051B9EEE.jpeg

AFF17838-C31B-42F5-B5F0-27737E57CC13.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6